How do I stop my 5 yr old female Golden Retriever from eating feces?

Asked by Member 942456 on Jan 31st 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Farley

Often. dogs will eat poop (either theirs or another animal's) because they are not getting enough nutrients from their own food. Many dogs on grain-heavy diets will eat poop because their food has little nutritional value. Make sure you are feeding your golden a high-quality, meat-based food. (Innova, Acana, Orijen, Wellness, etc)
Also, if the dog is eating its own poop, just make sure you pick up RIGHT after the dog does its business so it doesn't get the chance to eat it in the first place.

Farley answered on 1/31/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

best way to deal with it is immediately clean it up when it comes out. I have a pooper scooper and a 10 gal bucket from the lumber store.
They are not sure what causes it feeding alot of good stuff and real meats increases it, but the dog will continue to do it and it usually becomes a habit.

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 1/31/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The best solution to stool eating, coprophagy, is cleaning them up before the dog has a chance. You can try food additives, the home remedies pineapple juice or canned pumpkin or the commercial products Forbid or Deter.

Why dogs do it is poorly understood. It may be diet related, but changing the dog's diet might cause worse problems. Whatever problems it causes for the owner, it doesn't seem to hurt the dog unless you are trying to clear up a worm infestation.

For more information see home.gci.net

Contrary to many here, expensive, premium food isn't the solution to everything. Mostly all it does is lighten the owners' wallet.

K-10 Von Canein

Farley hit it on the money. The only comment I want to add is that I've never seen a raw fed dog eat poo. Maybe the poo that dogs eat is more nutritious than what they are being fed.

K-10 Von Canein answered on 1/31/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer