how do i stop a dog from chasing chickens?

My siberian husky is chasing and killing my neighbor`s chickens. Is there a shock collar that will deter him from doing this? Bob

Asked by Member 535658 on Nov 24th 2007 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Westley

I think I speak for your dog when I say "Please don't use a shock collar!" They're inhumane and probably won't be all that effective either.

Why not make sure he can't get to the chickens? I know that sibes are notorious escape artists, but I really do think that making sure he can't get to them is your best bet. Your dog seems to have a high prey drive (not a bad thing), and you probably can't change that. It's just how he is. Your task is to learn to manage that and help him not get into trouble.

I would recommend fencing for your dogs and for the chickens. (NOT electronic fencing... that won't stop a dog who is determined to get through.) It would be great if you could work with your neighbor on this. Both of you want to make sure his chickens are safe.

Westley answered on 11/24/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

A shock color would require an "invisible fence". And dogs can come in and attack you dog and your dog can't get away. I wouls say NO to the shock collar. Make sure your stays in your yard. Or maybe keep him inside when the chickens are out.

I agree that the shock collar is really something best left at the store, in the box, on the shelf!

The problem with shock collars, in my opinion, is that they 1) don't work and 2) hurt the dog and 3) are always a last resort from people who aren't taking the time to take the logical steps or invest time in training to stop the problem in a way that makes some long-term sense to the dog.

There are probably a small handful of cases out there where using such a collar MIGHT be an appropriate measure. This isn't one of them.

If this were my dog, I would make sure that he did not have access to those chickens. If you need to put up a fence, confine your dog to a dog run when you're not there to supervise him or keep him indoors when you are away from the property, then that is a much more logical step than shocking your dog.

Some dogs don't even respond to the shock or will "run through it", meaning they just ignore the pain and continue to do the behavior.

paris

i agree that a shock collar is not the best answer. To me the best way to hadle this is to take the dog in view of the chickens and wait until the dog has it attention on the other animals. When he/she is in the mindset of going after them give him a correction by giving him a bit at the neck with the fingers. After doing this a few times he/she should start to get the picture that you as the dominent are not going to allow this. Make sure the dog is on a leash during this time. If you keep up on this you will see a positive result.

paris answered on 11/24/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer