How do i show my chihuahua girl puppy that I'm the boss? and stop her 'talking back'?

She's very good and we're clicker training and she's learning fast, but sometimes barks at me to demand rewards. We're understanding one another fine, but of course she is conviced that she is training me, and is frustrated at my lack of perfect response to her demands.
I would love some advice tailored to chi's as this is my first, and she is definitely much smarter and quite different to other dogs I've lived with; I am disabled with a spinal injury and chronic fatigue and hope we can train each other to fit my lifestyle... I don't have much energy for training, tho' we do 5 mins 2 or 3 times each day, which seems about her attention span too so we seem suited except that she barks at me; perhaps she is just excited?

She is 12 weeks old and has been with me 2 weeks, training from day 2.

Asked by Member 1109335 on May 5th 2012 Tagged chihuahuatalkingback in Commands

Answers

Your schedule is just fine for a puppy that young. It is important that you ignore her *demands. Stop training & ignore her until she stops barking or showing inordinate interest in the treat bag. No need to crate her (as you would for nippiness)..just wait her out. Remember who is "supposed" to be the smarter species. lol
So just casually put the treats away & sit down..pretend to read a book. Once she is quiet for a bit, go get the treats & resume your session.

Frasier

If your able, I would suggest hiring a trainer, to help you start off. Some classes are very inexpensive like at PetSmart (if you have one) and other places. If not, than here are some suggestions:

Research the breed! So many people go in to adoption without finding out about the breeds.

Keep doing what your doing and learn more about training. There are many great books out there, as well as articles, about the subject.

And I think that when she barks she probably is excited, if not a little overactive. Puppies tend to be more that way, and she's calm down as she gets older.

Don't give in to her! Only reward her when reward is due and make sure your demands are clear.

I hope this helps and I hope it works out! I'd also like to welcome you to Dogster since you just joined today!

Frasier answered on 5/5/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

cookie dough

hi! im autumn and i own a diva little chihuahua thats such a girl and demands the world, giving her treats when she's demanding doesnt show that your the boss it actualy makes her the top dog of the house, although that "irresistable" face makes you give it thats what you shoudnt do! when she whine and barks for a treat simply ignore her begging if she continues on for more than five minuites say "no" i na strong , bold voice so she understands you mean it. it's not cruel, it says that "no" is the definet answer she'll soon

cookie dough answered on 5/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer