How do I put my dog to sleep?

How do I put my dog to sleep?
My dog is 13 years old now and in the past week started losing massive amounts of hair. Just yesterday, she can not stand to eat. She's slowly going. The thing is this dog was never registered or brought to a vet throughout her life. Are there any consequences? How do I put her to sleep without hassle?

Asked by Member 1016350 on Dec 21st 2010 Tagged dog, sleep, health, dying, register in Health & Wellness

Answers

Russell

You take her to the Vet and have him/her do it for you. It is the most humane way to let your friend go.

Russell answered on 12/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

It takes 2 shots of medications that are both controlled substances. Dose depends on the dogs weight. You need to see a Vet for this service.

If you are putting her to sleep the Vet doesn't care much about her history or records.

Please inform the Vet if your dog has had no vaccinations so they can clean afterwards.

If it is a smaller breed, it may not be its time and worth seeing the vet. I had a Lab that quit eating at 12. A vet visit fixed her up and she had another 3 good years.

The thinking about dogs has changed for the better since I was a boy. Then, the compassionate would have taken the dog out and shot it. People had the skill to give it a quick death. I can't say if that would be a good idea for you or not.

Pippin-CGC-RIP Sweet Boy

Actually shooting the dog might be against the law...Please give your dog a dignified death by taking her to the vet to be put down humanely.

Pippin-CGC-RIP Sweet Boy answered on 12/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

The fact she has never been to the vet or been registered (licensed?) has no bearing on the issue now. I agree that a senior check would be beneficial now, or, if you know this is the time...then please do call a vet. They will perform the deed humanely & you can feel confident you did right by her all the way to the end.

Many animal shelters also perform euthanasia, often at lower cost than most vets. The only hitch is that you can't be with your dog when they put her down if you take her to a shelter, and she might be frightened or confused. Still, this is a good option for people who can't afford to go to a vet and it really is time to let the dog go. It's kinder than shooting the dog, that's for sure.