How do I potty train a 7 week old puppy?

I have been putting her in the bathroom while I'm at work and when I get home I let her outside. All of that she is ok with but during the time she is out with me she potties on the floor. OVER AND OVER again!! She has even done it on the couch. I feel like giveing up but I haven't even had her a week yet. I have had many dogs to train but they still r not that great. I am mean to them and I wasn't like that when I was younger. I am trying to stay calm and not hit her like I have done my last dog when I was training him. Please help me!!

Asked by Member 829623 on Apr 23rd 2009 Tagged training in House Soiling

Answers

Housebreaking is way beyond the 1000 character limit here. You could email me at asklabman@yahoo.com or use paw mail here. I haven't checked Wikipedia recently, but they used to have the best on the net. Much of the advice on the net stinks.

Training a puppy takes patience and it seems like your a little low on that right now.
Watch her constantly, I mean NEVER let her out of your site, even put a leash on her if you must. Take her out every half hour, espesically since the weather is getting warmer, good reason to be out in the fresh air. Put her leash on, ask if she needs to pee and wait until she does her business. If she doesn't, then take her back out a half hour later. When she does do her business praise like crazy and a treat won't hurt.
Inside if you notice her doing circles, about to squat or in the middle of peeing, a firm NO and immediately take her outside. If she pees on the floor, this would be your fault for not watching her, simply clean it up, no yelling or hitting is needed.
Don't give up on her, like you said it has only been a week, and she is just a baby.
It seems your training methods are not working for any of your dogs, so it's time for a different approach.
Good luck.

she is young to be in a new home. usually at 8 weeks they are still with the breeder
so this is going to take a long time, she can not hold it for many more months. takes time and patience. lay papers down in the bathroom so she has place to go.
you can't hit the pup it will ruin her and then make it also worse as she can't help it.
Just try to have someone come over and let her out while you are at work. she has to go out every 1/2 hr at this age. set a oven timer so you don't forget. And remember to provide water and food while at work even though it is going to be messy on the floor. That's what pups do eat sleep and go potty. don't give up or give up to getting mad, just remember she is a baby and clean up the mess and start again.