How do I (or should I) crate train a rescued puppie 6-8 months old when I work and am gone 9-10 hours a day?

Over Christmas a puppy poked his way under my fence to come play with my cousins. After no luck locating an owner he adopted me. The vet agreed that he may have been abused/neglected and due to some tendencies it possibly occurred in a crate. I have a kennel on order but am unsure as to how to proceed with training him. The first day we found him he made it 6 hours in my laundry room with no messes. In the week I was on vacation he seemed to head to a door to indicate he needed to go out. I had to go back to work today and with my commute I am gone on average 9-10 hours a day. I left him behind a baby gate with food, water, bed and a training pad. He jumped the pen, but no messes! Though he was so excited I was home we had to rush outside before he wet himself. So long winded, but how do I crate train a dog who seems to have past potty training experience and may have negative experiences with crates. How do I build crate tolerance when I'm gone so long? Should I even try? Help!

Asked by Member 1082293 on Jan 5th 2012 Tagged puppy, crate, training, abused in Crate Training

Answers

Make the crate fun. Put treats in it with the door open, feed him in it with the door open. You can throw the treats in it and he'll run in and get them. Something he would die for and only use them for the crate training. it might take time, but he'll get used to it. As for the potty training, is there someone you know that can come in and let him out once or twice during the day? In my opinion, 9-10 hours is a long time to wait for a potty walk. Also, when it gets warm, he won't have any water all day. You might consider a dog walker, esp. since it seems he's already potty trained. Good for you for taking him in. I love to hear good stories because there are so many bad ones. Good Luck with your new puppy!