How do I make my dog stop urinating in the house

I found this Balck Pug tied to a tree on a stormy night, so ofcourse I brought him home..He been here 5 months, the first 4 months he didn't do anything in the house..This last month, forget about it..What do I do? I'm trying real hard not to get rid of him..HELP!!!!

Asked by Member 788726 on Mar 9th 2009 in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Katie

Hi there!
The other posters are right - if your Pug is not neutered, that should be the first step. Ask the vet to check for other things, such as a bladder infection, kidney problems, or anxiety issues, so you know why he's peeing in the house.
Once you know the root of the problem, you can start working on the behavior itself. If your dog is marking his territory, it's not a potty-training issue, but it is fix-able. Here is a link to my trainer's site: www.k9techsupport.com
The next-to-last link on the right column, How do I teach my dog to...Stop marking indoors?, is a good step-by-step instruction on what to do to stop this behavior in a humane way.
Good luck, and congratulations on rescuing your Pug!

Katie answered on Mar 10th.

Answers

How old is he? Is he neutered? He could possibly be reaching maturity and he is marking his territory if he is not neutered. Get him fixed if he is not already.

Have you considered a bladder infection/UTI? Thank you for rescuing him! But 1 month's worth of problems is not really a good reason to give him the boot especially if he has not seen a vet about it yet. I'd make that my first stop since he was fine for several months before. Also think about any changes in your household or anything that could be stressing him out - distress will cause such behaviors. Much luck.

Take him out every hour and 1/2 hr after eating or drinks.
He also needs healthy exercise. He will be able to have more opportunities to go if he is exercised properly.
Clean all soiled areas with Natures Miracle found at most pet stores like Petco