Missy

How do I know if my german shepherd is pregnant?

She just went threw her first heay cycle. She hasn't really changed much, but her nipples are still a little bigger than normal. Other than that she is still quite normal. Her heat cycle ended 2 weeeks ago, and no others changes have occured. Someone please help.

Asked by Missy on Nov 4th 2007 in Pregnancy

Answers

Daddy

Has she been left unsupervised with any young (younger than senior-aged), unsterilized male dogs or has she escaped your property out since she's been in heat? If not, odds are extremely high that she's not pregnant. Even if she is lactating, do not assume she is pregnant, because dogs have been known to go through 'false pregnancies' (although these are pretty rare).

The only way to know for sure is to make an appointment with a veterinarian for an ultra-sound to check for puppies.

Daddy answered on 11/4/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jelly

You didn't say if she was bred or not to your knowledge. Regardless if you are worried the best way to determine if she is pregnant is to go to the vet. They may be able to tell by palpating and if that doesn't work ultra sound. My experience has been that most females don't start to show they are pregnant until around week four or five, especially the first litter. I had one female that only had one puppy and she didn't really show until she was around week 7. Again, go to the vet if you want a quick answer.

Jelly answered on 11/4/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Like Jelly said - the best and fastest way to tell is to go to the vet. They can check her out and tell you for certain whether she is pregnant or not.

Did you breed her?
Has she escaped while in heat?
Has she been around unaltered males?
Any other reasons you suspect she may be pregnant?

If you've bred her on purpose or allowed her to be around unaltered male dogs, let me just say that that was very irresponsible. Dogs should never be bred on the first heat. Ever. They're much too young mentally to have puppies!