NINA

How do I know if my dog is REALLY happy? She is my bestfriend & sometimes I feel like I'm not giving back all she gives.

I'm kind of new to this Dogster thing....but I have a question. It may sound silly, but Nina is my 2 & a half year staffy/pit mix & she truely is my bestfreind. I got her as a puppy, a decision made by my boyfriend at the time & I. We were living in a nice little house with a big yard & both couldn't wait to get a dog. Unfortunalty after a year, the relationship between him & I didn't work out, & when we split up I took Nina with me & he kept the house. I now have not found a permenant place to reside & have spent a lot of time dragging her from place to place with me. I can't bear the thought to be without her, but sometimes I think with our "nomatic" lifestye it would be best for her if she stayed with him instead because he has a big fenced in yard, even though I know the attention & love I give her has no comparison. I feel so guilty sometimes & don't know if it's just me or if I really do have a reason to be. I know it's a hard question to answer, but am I doing the right thing?

Asked by NINA on Aug 5th 2009 Tagged happy in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Is she moping around? Has her behavior changed for the worse? Is she not eating? Is she not enjoying her walks or outings?
If your answer is no to those, then she probably is fine. As long as you are giving her lots of exercise and getting her out and about I think she's probably fine.
Not all dogs need yards. Some big dogs(like mine) spend all their time inside and their outside time is with me out and about, a lot, and it works for him.
Dogs like having stability, yes, but if you think your ex-boyfriend can give her lots of attention with lots of exercise then if it eases your mind, take her to him. But, I'm sure your girl is ok.
Again, as long as she's getting lots of exercise and interaction with you (plus mental stimulation) then she's probably fine.
Hopefully you can find a permanent place that takes dogs and your worries will be over.
Good luck.

So long as her needs are met & she isn't suffering in any way I'd keep her with you...I hope you will find a safe place to "land" soon!

Katie

Hi Nina!

I agree with the others - we doggies bond with our people, and we really don't care where we go, as long as our physical needs are met and we're not left alone too long!

Remember - dogs developed from wolves, who are very nomadic, and the interim stages along the path to domestication were pariah dogs and "village dogs." Neither of these kinds of dogs have permanent homes, yet they lead apparently happy lives as long as nobody is throwing rocks at them.

There are many homeless people in major cities who have a canine buddy, and their dogs are glad to have someone to provide companionship and help them survive. If their dogs weren't happy, they wouldn't hang around - they would wander off.

So, tell your loving human not to worry about the moving, unless your behavior changes or you show signs of stress. Keep getting that attention and love, keep getting good exercise and nutrition, and keep saving up for a more permanent dwelling! Good luck!

Katie answered on 8/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It's hard to say. Who did she bond with most? If she bonded with you, I'd say that you should keep her with you as long as you can provide all of the walking, training, playtime, and good nutrition she needs.

Dakota

We're really adaptable you know - I've moved from England to Scotland and now America. I've had a great adventure. My mommy has always loved me, walked and played with me and I couldn't be happier - I run to her everytime she comes home, with a huge smile and my tail wagging. Stop worrying and go and take Nina for a walk!

Dakota answered on 8/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Liberty, nicknames: Libby & Li

I don't agree with all the answers here. If you are constantly moving around, it really is not good for Nina. They need a safe place, and when you are constantly moving around, they are not sure where that safe place is and it will cause behavioral issues-I know from experience. Please try to find someplace to stay for a long time. Moving every few years or so, would be ok, but not months or weeks. It sounds like you have bonded with her, I would not give her back to the ex unless he can give her the attention she needs. But I think that would be confusing for her too. Just like kids going through a divorce! :-) Good luck!

Liberty, nicknames: Libby & Li answered on 8/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer