Cora Belle Echols

How do I know if my Chihuahua is in heat?

She weighs 4.5lbs, and keeps herself very clean. I have never seen any bleeding, but on occasion she does get "romantic" with a stuffed tiger.

Asked by Cora Belle Echols on Sep 3rd 2008 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

♥Tiffy♥

You can sometimes tell by swelling and redness in her private area. Also her mood and activity level may change. She may be coming into heat soon. The humping may also be a sign. Female dogs usually go into their first heat by the age of 6 months. But just like with humans, their cycle can vary. My aunt's dog has never been "fixed" and has never gone into heat and she constantly is trying to hump my Tiffy. It just depends on the dog.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 9/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Female dogs will generally bleed when they come into heat. Heat typically comes around 6 months, but some dogs don't get it until they are almost two years old.
The "romantic" thing that you are talking about is probably just play.
You can ask the vet about heat cycles. Cora is old enough to be spayed now if she is 1 year old like her page says. If she is spayed you won't have to worry about heat cycles.
cookiemiller.tripod.com

Female dogs, and even males, do not 'get romantic' with toys. They are trying to dominate, and this is their way of doing it. This has nothing to do with any sexual behaviors whatsoever. Dogs do not always come into heat in their first year - some do and some don't. You will notice that they will start to bleed and their vulva will be very swollen. Take her to your vet and have her spayed.