Annie

How do I keep my dog from using the bathroom in the house?

We had no problem with our dogs using the bathroom in the house before school started, and now that school started and were not home all the time, they use the bathroom in the house a lot.

We let them out in the mornings when we first wake up, then again after they eat, they stay in the kitchen until we get home, then they go out again for about 20 minutes then come knock on the door and let us know they're ready to come back inside. Almost immediately after they come inside they poop and/or pee in the house. We get really tired of having to clean up pee and poop and besides that the house it starting to stink. How can I fix this problem before it becomes worse?

Asked by Annie on Aug 20th 2010 in House Soiling

Answers

Sonny

Don't "let them out". Take them out.
Bring a few small treats, tell them "go potty". When they do praise and give a few treats over 30 seconds or so, make a BIG deal out of it. Tether them to you inside until they get in the habit of going potty when you take them out.

Sonny answered on 8/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would agree with above poster. Letting them out doesn't mean they are doing their business outside, which is obviously the case. Take them out, stand there and make sure they are actually doing something.
You need to go back to your basic housetraining techniques. When they are inside, watch them constantly. When they squat to pee/poop, immediately take outside. You need to catch them before they go to make them understand that doing their business in the house is not what you want. Once they have done their business inside, it's TOO late to put them outside and their learning nothing.

How many times do they eat? or do you free feed?
I would only feed once a day if they are adults.
Also, no one wants to but the crate is a good tool for dogs who are not potty trained.
Some dogs even though they seem potty trained are not if they do that. They must learn the rule that that is your house and it is not allowed. Until the learn that rule the crate can be a great tool to teach them to only go outside. I would go out with them and praise them when they go outside. Do they eat poop? they could also be pooping inside to eat it. not sure. Just guessing why they are pottying inside. If you can block the kitchen and paper train them that is better then just pooing all over. But, they need a dog walker if they are going to free roam the house.Use a friend or a relative to walk them.

Heres a great idea that i did with my dog, ok buy a pet taxie or if u have one. stick ur dog in there with a puppy pad in the pet taxie for a couple of weeks and see how she does. that helped with my dog, my step dad is a vet but i dont get to see him that much but he knows things.. good luck.