how do i keep my dog from crying so much?

he is a Jack russell terrier and he cry;s all the time for no reason how do i make him stop?

Asked by Member 849484 on Feb 6th 2010 in Barking

Best Answer

Katie

Hi there!

Dogs do not show any behavior "for no reason," but sometimes it's hard to figure out.

Start with a visit to the vet for a complete checkup. Biscuit is young, so he should be pretty healthy, but it's best to make sure and rule out any source of pain or illness first.

Next, take a look at the circumstances that cause the crying. When you say "all the time," do you mean that he wakes up crying and cries while he eats and cries when you play with him and cries when he goes outside to potty? If so, he's probably sick. But if there are any times that he is quiet, tell him "good dog," and play with him or give him a little treat to reinforce the quiet behavior.

When he cries, try ignoring him. He may be doing it because he wants attention.

How much exercise does he get? If he's not getting two walks a day, and/or a trip to the dog park or dog beach to romp with others, he is probably anxious and bored. Start training him! Jack Russells are famous for learning tons of tricks. GL

Katie answered on Feb 6th.

Answers

I agree completely with Katie and I think she gave a very good answer.

What seems like "no reason" to you, is definitely a reason to Biscuit. What you need to work on is figuring out what that reason is.

He might be anxious, fearful, excited or lonely. Or he may be doing it because he knows if he makes that noise, you respond to him in some way. It's hard to tell without seeing him in action, or knowing exactly how you respond to him when he does cry.

What is your definition of "crying"? Several of my dogs are talkers... they don't actually bark, but they continue to make noise... it could be interpeted as crying, perhaps?, while thinking they need my attention. Example, I just got home from work and went to let my two worst talkers out. Both of them, from the time I walked into the room until we went outside continued to talk... again, this was not barking but sort of a "yah, yah, yah" noise, contstantly, even when one grabbed her favorite toy to take outside with her. Outside while running around the yard and exploring, one continued to talk to me. I like this... to me it is like a child telling me how their day went when picked up from school. I interpet it as a sign that my dog appreciates me and is willing to share his/her life with me by telling me all about it. Two other dogs of mine, Harvey and Beanie, both often come up to me and do the arroooo bark... this, to me means, hey, what's doin'? I like it!!!

Misha

I agree with Katie. Dogs don't cry "for no reason" but sometimes it's really hard to figure out why. Our dog cries in th car, and the vet says it's anxiety.

Some signs of anxiety are crying and yawning. Dogs offten do this when they feel they are in an uneasy place. So your dog just might feel he is in a place he's not so comfortable in. If you have things he likes, like a blanket or toy, just give that to him to try to tell him he's ok. By the way, he's super cute!

Misha answered on 2/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Another tip, for puppies especially, wrap a hot water bottle in a towel and put it in their kennel. It reminds them of the mother dog and helps calm them down. Best of luck!