Gabriel

How do I keep my 1 year old Min Pin from pooping on the floor?

We take him on a walk and he still does it. We'll come in after the walk and he'll sneek out to the rec room and poop on our rug..how do we stop him!?!?!?! We even have a training mat set up in our houe in case he feel 'the urge' but he won't poop on it he only pees on it! HELP!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!

Asked by Gabriel on Jan 9th 2008 in House Soiling

Answers

Ginger Smiles Primm

My 6 month old has only peed outside like 4 times in her life. For the life of me I cant teach her. We have tried everything but tying her to my waist to keep an eye on her. Our other is VERY smart and at 2 will NEVER go in the house so...realy no advice for you althou it may be the breed. I smell pee right now...

Ginger Smiles Primm answered on 1/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lily CGC, passed away 11/24/11

You might want to set up a schedule. Basically think of it as starting from scratch. Not sure if Gabriel was ever housetrained, but for all intents and purposes pretend he doesn't even know to pee outside.

Do you know about when he poops? Like times and such? Since he's older pooping immediately after a meal might not work like it does with puppies. But take him out first thing in the morning, and don't allow him to go back in until he's pooped. When he does poop, praise him like crazy. Treats and pets and the works. :) Repeat in the afternoon and evening, any other times he poops. Not sure what the weather's like where you are, but there's a good chance pooping inside (where it's warm) has it's own rewards. You just need to make pooping outside more attractive and desirable. :)

Lily CGC, passed away 11/24/11 answered on 1/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You said you take him on "A walk".

Well I have to say that A walk will not be enough to sustain a dog's bladder and bowels for a whole day. Adult dogs can hold their bladders for 7-9 hours at the most. I prefer to let my dogs out every 4 hours.

Take him out during the times of day he is most likely going to poop on the floor. Once right after breakfast, once right after his afternoon nap, once on his daily walk for exercise, once after dinner, and once just before bed.

The only way to really prevent a dog from pooping in the house is to not even offer him the chance. A dog can only defecate so many times a day... if you take him outside to poop often, then his bowels will be too emptied out for him to go inside the house. Praise him right after he relieves himself outside with a small treat or a toy.

Offer him more activities and outdoor fun. He needs the fresh air and the opportunity to relieve himself in appropriate ways. Good luck!