how do i keep burrs out of dogs

Asked by Member 971218 on Mar 6th 2010 in Answers

coat conditioners help with that.
And a nice brush through daily will be great in addition to the coat conditioner.

I don't think there is a repellent for burrs, so if your dog has longer hair, a nice skin friendly conditioner will help get them out.

Short coats usually don't have too much problems with burrs, a simple swipe or curry comb will do the trick.

The only way I know of to keep them off of your pet, is to avoid burr ridden areas.

I live in the country with lots of burrs and seeds. My late Samoyed would get in them. It was a night mare to get them out. All my current dogs are short haired so I don't have this problem with them.

When picking them off, don't forget to look in the ears. Tiny seeds can get in their ears and cause earache and infection. :o(

Good luck

Hector answered on 3/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

In addition to the other responses, keep the fur trimmed between the toes. These can be super easy areas for burrs to get caught. Always a good idea to search the toes and ears after being outside for any burrs present.