HOW DO I GET RID OF THESE SO CALLED " GRAIN MITES "FROM BENIFUL? I NEED SUGGESTONS I'VE TRIED SO MUCH!

I RECENTLY FOUND LITTLE TINY BUGS THAT LOOK LIKE DUST IN MY BENIFUL DOG BIN AND B4 NOTICING THEM IN MY BIN I NOTICE THEM NEXT TO THE AREA ALL OVER MY SPEAKERS AND ENTERTAINMENT AREA, I HAVE TRIED NUMEROUS THINGS TO GET RID OF THEM BUT AFTER BOMBING MY HOUSE WITH FOGGER AND SPRAYING THEM WITH A SPRAY THAT SHOULD KILL ON CONTACT IT HASN'T BUDGED. IM SOO CONCERNED THIS IS GOING TO INFEST MY HOUSE MORE HOW DO I GET RID OF THESE??? ANY POINTERS IT'S MAKING ME SICK I SPRAY 409 5 TIMES A DAY AND WIPE IT UP ALONG WITH VACUUMING ANDWASHIN MY FLOOR....IT"S MAKING ME CRAZY I READ ONE WOMAN HAD THEM FOR 2 1/2 YRS!!! PLEEEEASE HELP!
~~KIM

Asked by Member 870991 on Aug 25th 2009 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Keep all food in airtight containers, plastic is best. You most likely have the bug in all it's life cycles so are not killing them all just the adults and larvae. I would hire an exterminator that guarantees their work for 6 months.
My sister had some kind of moth in her pantry and kitchen fo a year, until she bagged all her dry goods.
I had this problem with bird food. The Feed store told me the eggs may have been in the seed all along and while harmless if eaten, they are gross if they hatch in the house. They said to Ziploc baggy everything as soon as I buy it. Toss out any food that has "hatched" bugs. These links have it all:

www.ehow.com

missourifamilies.org

Sassy

Change stores, buy your dog food somewhere else. Open it right away and check for bugs and take right back to the store if you see anything suspicious. It would be best to freeze it as well but most people haven't room in the freezer for a bag of dog food.

Try diatomaceous earth. The food grade kind ONLY! Dust it in cracks and crannies. It is safe to put into the food itself! It nicks the bugs's exoskeleton and they dry up and die. It will also dry YOU up, be careful with it. Use a mask, shower after using and don't leave it where it will be stirred up. Not talking shriveled to a prune, just dry mouth and lots of moisturizer but why put yourself through that. I love the stuff, takes care of all indoor insect pests.

When I had a bad bout with flour moths I put anything grainy in the freezer for a day or so to prevent any eggs from coming in the house. Did I use DE, no. Should have!

Sassy answered on 8/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I truely have never heard of this.
First save your UPSC code from the bag and call this into the company.
I would discontinue the food also.
Take your bin out and clean them with bleach and set them out in the sun to dry. Vaccum then entire area.
How sure are you as to what they are.??
I would have an exterminator come in and examine the bugs. Place some in a glass container for them. Maybe they have a special spray or traps that can kill them? Maybe store another type of dogfood in your car in an air tight container until you can get rid of them in the house somehow. I think some bugs are immune to the foggers especially if you keep using them. Bugs become intolerant over time. So some professional exterminators might be the best solution. good luck.

Just like getting rid of fleas, use diatomacious powder. It's ground up fossils and it's used in gardens so most nurseries should carry bags of it.
Take the d.e.(diatomacious earth) and sprinkle it all over your house. (it's a very, very fine white powder that is not harmful to humans). Be generous. Cover your floors, cover your carpets(pound it in to the carpets and furniture)and put it in your cabinets. Cover every thing with it and then let it sit for 24-36 hours. That should suffocate the little buggers and then vacuum it all up.
Don't do foggers anymore. That actually does no good. You need to suffocate them with a dry powder.
Most important though, clean your cupboards of any type of grain you have--cereal, breads, oatmeal, bran, rice, etc. anything the mites can get into. Get it out of your house and keep it out. Keep out any food source for the mites. It may suck to not have food in your cupboards, but it will keep the mites from feeding and multiplying in your cupboards.