How do I get permission for my dog to be an ESA?

I'm having the hardest time finding an affordable apartment in Los Angeles that will allow me to keep my 2 year old blue heeler. I adopted her from a shelter when she 5/6 months old and she's really helped me through some difficult times and we're pretty inseparable. I've never had the money for therapy or anything, so I never had her certified as an ESA, but I could really use that title now so I can keep her. All I can find online is places wanting me to pay $60-$200 for a "certificate," and I just don't have that extra money. Please help me, I'm getting desperate.

Asked by Member 1127314 on Aug 24th 2012 Tagged emotionalsupportanimal, esa in Other Laws & Legislation
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend


  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Truffle    1988 - 1991

It's not just the certificate, your dog has to pass tests. Usually the CGC or canine good citizen test first. If you repost in forums under Service dogs you may get more useful information.

Just a tip cause I've been there. Most large apartment places have a blanket rule for all because it's hard to keep an eye on a big place to make sure everyone is a responsible owner.

I was able to find a better rental rate and a bigger place on ground level with a tiny garden. The privately owned 3 family home was owner occupied and a great landlord. It was a great place for a working woman and her first dog. Look for a landlord that will agree to meet your dog and understands your need to keep her.

Truffle 1988 - 1991 answered on 8/24/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


The Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act protect the right of people with disabilities to keep emotional support animals, even when a landlord's policy explicitly prohibits pets. Because emotional support and service animals are not "pets," but rather are considered to be more like assistive aids such as wheelchairs, the law will generally require the landlord to make an exception to its "no pet" policy so that a tenant with a disability can fully use and enjoy his or her dwelling. In most housing complexes, so long as the tenant has a letter or prescription from an appropriate professional, such as a therapist or physician, and meets the definition of a person with a disability, he or she is entitled to a reasonable accommodation that would allow an emotional support animal in the apartment.

You still have to pay a deposit for the animal and are responsable for any damage it may do

Member 1128660 answered on 8/31/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer