how do i get my red heeler to quit chewing on stuff

my dog chews on everything electric wire,shoes,anything he can get his mouth around he is 7 months old

Asked by Member 786184 on Jan 1st 2009 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Limit his area & puppy proof the areas he is allowed in by putting things up & hiding electrical cords...Also make sure he has things he is allowed to chew on like toys, bones, etc...Puppies need to chew!...Hopefully he will grow out of it eventually.

Jax

My dog chewed up everything and my solution was giving him a dog chewie toy and also gave him boundries by gates. He whined but as he got older and out of his puppy stages he doesn't chew as much but is smarter. He still gets ahold of things and I chase him to get it out of his mouth and then if I still can't get it I trade him a treat. He also might be teething so give him a chewie that freezes so that it is really hard. Good luck!

Jax answered on 1/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jet

Don't worry! He is still a puppy! Right now, he is in his teething stage of life which is what most, if not all, puppies go through. Get your pup (Can I call him Red, since he's a red heeler?) plenty of soft, squeaky chew toys, and some hard, durable, chew toys. Then, he will be occupied. You can also buy him treats like nylabones, milkbones, or rawhide chews. Hope this helps!

Jet answered on 1/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Nibbles

One thing that helped with Nibbles is bitter apple. You can get it at a pet product stores and spray it on what he is not suppose to chew. The taste deters them. Also, I gave Nibbles acceptable things to chew and put up things I did not want him to chew. This will pass, but you do have to keep an eye on him.

Nibbles answered on 1/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer