How do I get my puppy with Cerebellar Hypoplasia to walk on hardwood floors?

Hi, my puppy (like in the title) has slight Cerebellar Hypoplasia. It doesn't prevent her from walking but it does cause a problem.

My fiance and I are moving to a place that has nothing but tiled flooring and I know this will be a huge problem later and I want her to get a bit used to slippery floors before we torture her for weeks being unable to walk on the floors.

When I take her into a room that has a slippery floor, she starts crying hysterically and begins to freak out before I even put her down.

Once she is on the floor either the shock makes it so she can't even use her back legs or she instinctively tries to dig her claws into the floor. She won't even try to stand up without using her claws.

I try to hold her up and let her stand with support but she just shuts down and won't have any of it.

I was thinking of buying some sticky pad spray or dog shoes, but I feel it might not help her.

Asked by Member 1111756 on May 20th 2012 Tagged cerebellarhypoplasia, puppy, walking, floors in Fears & Phobias

Answers

This may or may not be the answer you're looking for. I would suggest placing her in the middle of a room with this type of flooring, then leaving the room. Eventually, she'll face her fears and get up. Once she does and starts walking successfully, she'll see gain more confidence and be fine.

Another idea is dog shoes, as you mentioned. However instead of having her wear the shoes on these types of floors, have her wear them on flooring she's already comfortable with. Let her get used to the feeling of wearing the shoes on carpet. Then, once she's comfortable with the shoes, move her to hard flooring. It shouldn't be a big change since she still has the shoes on, and you can have her sit/lay down and get back up without using her nails.

Best of luck!

Quality Pet Chews/Treats at www.petleader.com

Ikan

How about getting some floor runner rugs and put down to help the dog get used to the floors. We had to do this for older dogs on our floors when they thought they could not walk on them.

Ikan answered on 5/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maggie Mae

I agree with the first poster regarding just letting her cope with her situation. She is a puppy and needs to learn that there will be different textures that she needs to deal with. You are not hurting her in any way, you will be empowering her. Touching her in an excited state when she is crying and freaking out is only exacerbating the behavior. Even though it's out of the goodness of your heart, you are not supplying your dog with the skills it needs to get on in our human world. Would you let your human child carry on like that or would you have them work it out? The difference with a human child is you can explain and reason, since you cannot do that with a puppy it is best to leave the room. She will not stay immobilized forever, she will figure it out. And when she does you will be waiting to commend her and give affection at the right time! No need for shoes and it will only help the dog get over the Cerebellar Hypoplasia because she will learn to compensate.

Maggie Mae answered on 5/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hi,
I have two cats with CH (one mild, one moderate), and I can only imagine what you've been going through. We have hardwood floors, and for the first few months of my youngest's life, I wasn't sure if she'd be able to manage them! However, here's what we did -- get some area rugs and runners -- they do help.
Also create positive associations with the tiled area -- snuggle with her, give her treats when she's brave and play with her (within reason) on the floor. Some animals' CH get better over time, too, so that may help down the line as well. If you have other questions, feel free to reach out :) Us CH parents can learn a lot from one another.
Best,
Amanda