how do I get my old dog to eat

he is 12 yrs old blue healer. he oly wants to eat meat.I cant get him to eat dry or canned dog food. He just wants scrapes of meat from our table. I really cant afford a vet visit right now cause Im sure they will want to run blood tests. I have wormed him.

Asked by Member 1053865 on Sep 8th 2011 in Health & Wellness

Answers

SNEAKERS

Weather you choose Dry or Canned, put some amount in his bowl, and set it on the Counter where you prepare the plates for your meals.
As you load your plates, dip/put a small amount of that item/vegy/scraps from Steak, into his bowl, and mix/stir it up with his "dog" food.
Take it to the Table, and wait until he "ask" for something. Then give it to him, and see what happens.

SNEAKERS answered on 9/8/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'd stop trying to feed him dog food and start feeding him boiled chicken or ground beef and white rice (the kind that takes 45 min or so). I'd also call the vet, let him or her know about the situation, and see what kind of financial arrangements can be made.

Sounds like he's just being picky, nothing to do with health.
The solution? Tough love. Don't give into him. If he won't eat what you give him, he can just go hungry until next meal time. Dogs won't let themselves starve, he'll give in eventually.
There's nothing wrong with meaty scraps in moderation, of course, (in fact they are very good for dogs) but until he begins eating his food readily, don't give him anymore.