How do I get my great dane to stop chewing?

My great dane chews everything and he is too big for a crate. We tried putting him in the mudroom (6x6 room) but he ate the trim and put a hole in the wall. He is very well behaved when we are with him... walks nice does not pull, great with the kids, does not bark, potty trained in two weeks etc... he just eats everything when we are away.

Asked by Member 1013572 on Nov 27th 2010 in Chewing

Answers

Buckeye

I suggest a crate. There are very large crates out there. You may have to order one, but they make them for big dogs. I think you'd be happy with this: www.midwestpetproducts.com

I have a Midwest crate similar to this and its great! Very durable and easy.

Buckeye answered on 11/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sonny

Crates for giant breeds have to be mail ordered. This is one site, but shop around for best price or free shipping.
www.petcratesdirect.com

Exercise! A bored or anxious dog is destructive. A tired dog is a happy dog. If he gets a good long leash walk in the morning before everyone leaves he will be more content whether crated or not.

I'm guessing he's still young. I hope neutered, or will be when old enough. Youth, hormones and energy can get him in big trouble if he's not safely in a crate with a safe chew toy...(no rawhide).

Sonny answered on 11/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Reyna

He's definitely not too big for a crate. Get him the Midwest 54" crate and it'll fit him fine. I have that one for my Mastiffs (well only one uses it) and there is plenty of room to spare in height and length, and she is 170lbs.

Reyna answered on 11/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kahuna

Could be separation anxiety, bordom or both.Get him a proper crate. Here's a site explaining SA and how to deal with it.

www.wagntrain.com

Kahuna answered on 12/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer