How do I get my grass to regrow after my dog has urinated in spots that seem to have died?

We have three dogs and the urine has seemed to "burned" the grass away. How can I get it back to looking "green"?

Asked by Member 871456 on Jun 27th 2011 in Dogs and a Clean Home

Answers

they have a dietary supplement for dogs. it is expensive so for the last few years been trying my self to find a cheap way.
hope someone else can mention how to deal with it too.I bought fertilizer for spots, soil conditioners. ect...
my little dog I let him out the front now. his urine was causing most of the damage :( :(

Lots of water helps for the most part, but the supplement helps balance the dog's ph in the urine. I need to research this and see if a natural food can help with it. bc I don't give man made supplements to my dogs.
good luck

Kazba

They do sell products at petsmart or petco that you can give to your dog in pill form that will help cut down on grass burn. The food you feed can also have something to do with it so maybe switching foods will not make it as bad. It is not a cure all to switch foods but it may help some.

Kazba answered on 6/27/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Use crumbled up drywall dust..the regular drywall used for walls. Do not use the fire retardant treated kind. Peel the paper off, pound it to dust. sprinkle liberally on all the brown spots & water in well. Try to have the dog pee somewhere else for a day or two. The grass will grow back lush & green. Best part..it's FREE! Ask at any construction site, or house being built/renoed & they will be happy to give you as much as you want.

old fashioned remedy... mix equal parts white vinegar and water, spray on the spot as soon as the dog eliminates, this method can be use on accidents on carpet as well. Vinegar is a natural nutralizer of ammonia and cheep too.

I heard that putting a little catsup or tomato juice in the dogs food would help with that. Anyone know for sure? I've just started doing it, and haven't had time to measure the results.

Jessie

Most people believe urine burns grass because it's too high in nitrogen. Not true. The dog's urine is too high or too low in pH, usually due to what he's being fed (or not being fed). Test the urine to check. Each of your dog's may be different.

Since I have fed raw, I haven't had this this problem. It takes abit of experimenting with what to feed more of or less of to find the right balance. If the pH is high, cranberry or tomato juice can temporarily lower it. Extra calcium (more bone) can neutralize high pH. High carbohydrates can increase pH. More protein can decrease it. Getting your dog to drink more water by adding it to his food can help too. A dog with a balanced pH is a healthy dog.

As to your grass, keep watering and fertilizing as normal and the patches will grow back in, or you can seed them to speed the process. Overwatering does nothing after the burning has occurred as the grass is dead.

Jessie answered on 6/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Otto - now deceased

Stop feeding your dog cereal (kibble).
I have had 2 cairn terriers. One I feed kibble. He would pee on the same bush all the time. Where he peed it would trine yellow and wither.
My current cairn only is feed Raw food. Pees on the same bush. Nothing happens to it.

I guess the answer is to feed what nature intended.
Dogs don't cook or eat cereals.

Otto - now deceased answered on 6/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Delilah

Going along with the pH answer, diet has a lot to do with it. To start cheap you can try adding Apple Cider Vinegar to your dogs diet. 1tsp per 50lbs. If your dog is a picky eater they may not go for it. I started doing it for my big guy and he can be a little finicky but I also add in hot water to his kibble for the extra moisture and this dilutes the vinegar a little. This helps neutralize the body's pH throughout their system. Also helps with digestion, skin, coat, and urinary issues.

Delilah answered on 6/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Steele

I've found what works is sprinkling Epsom Salts in the areas where your pup urinates the most. Water it a little and sprinkle & water more once or twice a week as the weather gets hot. If you don't catch it early the grass may burn but will grow back. The Epsom Salts will sweeten the soil. Sometimes while I'm sprinkling I add some to my vegetable garden too!

Steele answered on 6/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rocky

Would you consider adding clover to your lawn? There's not a single brown spot in the clover and grass lawn beside a well-travelled local sidewalk where Rocky and Tucker often walk.

Rocky answered on 6/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I learned that St. augustine grass does not burn. If all else fells. I do have that in my yard, actually and I have 3 dogs, and no burns. To the one who suggested vinager, vinager itself will kill your grass. It is used as a natural weed killer, that won't harm your dogs, BUT it kills grass also.

Rocky

I have heard that giving dogs some tomato juice helps! I haven't had this problem but I had a neighbor who tried it and said it worked...

Rocky answered on 6/29/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bob

Just a heads up from another member's comment - I would NEVER use any type of fertilizer. My vet said fertilizer causes CANCER and kills many dogs each year! Please avoid that tragedy.

Bob answered on 6/30/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

epsom salts are great as someone else suggested. plus they are good for any grass or plant life. vinager will kill grass and anything else. it is great for killing weeds and other unwanted things.

i'm having the same problem and have been watering like crazy. i live in texas and it's very hot and the ground dries out daily. i have been soaking the dogs area in the back late at night and it is starting to come back. watering in texas will cause very high water bills. i'm lucky i have a well to use. otherwise i'd let it just die.