How do I get my French Bulldog to drop the ball when we play fetch?

She does well for the 1st 10-15 minutes of playing but then will not drop the ball. How do I train her to "drop it?"

Asked by Member 1130429 on Sep 12th 2012 Tagged fetch, ball, dropit in Methods of Training

Answers

The easiest way is to *trade for a yummy treat. You can also praise each time she does drop it. "Good girl" Then add the *drop cue just before she drops it on her own. Praise "Good Drop! Good girl"
BUT your dog may be telling you she has had enough of the game. Try ending the game before she refuses to drop...leave her wanting more. Be aware that dogs like Frenchies just do not have the staying power of other breeds due to their compact snout/face.

As the other answerer said, the easiest way to train 'Drop it' is to present her with another toy. Let me explain.

Get her interested in a toy, let her play with it. Offer her another toy. She should drop the one she has, and then you play with this new toy for a while. Repeat this with the first toy.

After she is reliably dropping the toy for the other one, add in the cue "Drop it!" the moment she lets go of the toy. After enough repetition, she will realize "drop it" means let go of what you have, and you might get something even better!

She also could just be done playing/bored of the game you are doing. Try to end it before it gets to that point, then she realizes you are the one in control and wants to spend more time with you.