How do I get my dog to wear his collar all the time?

My dog is a Chihuahua/Daschund mix. I have had him for two years and he only wears his collar every once in a while. I would like for him to start wearing it all the time, but every time I put it on him he becomes a different dog. He won't eat, play, run, etc. He seems really depressed and lethargic when the collar is on and once it's off he is back to his old self. I try to equate the collar with positive things. (EX: When I put it on, I give him a treat.) I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to making his collar wearing a positive experience for him, so he can wear it all the time.

Asked by Member 1063686 on Oct 15th 2011 Tagged collar in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

How many tags are on the collar? We see small dogs here all the time with about 4 or 5 tags on their collars, banging into them each step they take.
In addition to the weight, some dogs just do not like the noise the tags make when they bang together.
I would removing extra tags and tape them together so they don't make so much noise.
And, I agree with the others... leave it on for a longer time so he can get used to it. He has learned that if he acts upset, you will immediately remove it.

answered on Oct 16th.

Answers

Honestly, I would put it on him and just leave it there for a while, at least a whole day. He'll sulk at first, but eventually forget about it.

You need to make a big deal about him putting on the collar. praise him and do all you can to make him feel like it is a good thing to have it on. I also do think you need to put the collar on and leave it on and just keep putting it on for a long period each day. Maybe there is something about the collar he does not like, have you tryed different ones to see you that makes a difference?