Kodha

How do I get my dog to stop eating the couch?

I have a 16 month old Husky and up until a few weeks ago he has never attempted to eat anything other than his toys and then it started. One day last week and now once this week we came home to a ripped apart couch cushion. He gets walked every morning and night and goes to the puppy park at least 2 days a week. We give him peanut butter filled Kong, chew toys,rawhide bones and a toy that he has to spin and roll around to get treats, these all worked until now. He also has access to patio and can go in and out all day. I'm lost for ideas on how to fix this. He has never been crate trained we have one that he can go in but I like my dog to sleep with me so that was something I never did. Willing to try anything, crate training now would be difficult as we work 5 days a week and are gone a min of 8hrs and that's too long to just suddenly leave him in there.

Asked by Kodha on May 25th 2011 Tagged couch, chewing in Chewing

Answers

How about baby gating off access to the living room, or whatever room the couch is in? You can probably manage this behavior to extinction this way.

You could crate train him for the times when you're not home and still let him sleep with you. It sounds like he's bored, and when huskies get bored...look out. I know you walk him, but I'd walk him farther and longer and throw in some wrestling and playing when you're at home with him. Doggy day care might be helpful, too, since he'd have supervision and he'd get to make friends!

he's bored.
Maybe a crate with dog walkers 3x a day.
Then when you are home start an exercise program. He is old enough to start working up to a pretty good hiking, walking, and biking program.
Invest in a harness and a bike extension for bike jogging. Huskies and malmutes have to get exercise on a daily basis and the doggie door is just not it.
I had a malmute and he got alot of exerise.
Then stick with your rubber kong. I use only a kong and exercise.
You can find many things like swimming, frisbee, ball, and even hiking fun with your dog. You can also strap on a harness for hiking that has pockets and start letting him carry various items like water, a bag of food, wallet, keys, every thing adds up and the weight can make him strong and give him exercise to carry it :) A big dog like that will need 2 hrs of exercise per day it can be done in increments throughout the day or in 1hr or 1/2 hr increments.

It sounds like he's bored or that he has developed separation anxiety. My favorite dog trainer is Cesar Millan. Here's his website -

www.cesarsway.com

Cesar has great training techniques. He may have a training technique and training tips for this.

How about getting him a toy that's soft to chew on? How about some strong but soft stuffed animals. One's that won't tear up easily. Play with him every day, play with him for a while before you go to work. He may not be getting enough attention.

How about a couch cover? One that completely covers your couch so that he can't chew the couch.

Doggy day care would be a good idea. They provide a lot of fun for your dog. Definitely put up baby gates too so that he can't access the room where the couch is.

Be sure to work with him because if you don't you never know what he could tear up next.