How do I get my dog to like the crate again?

Before i have stuffed him in the crate for 2 hours or more. He even peed in his crate 2 times. Should i get an exercise pen?

Asked by Member 991792 on Jul 18th 2010 Tagged cratetraining, puppies in Crate Training

Answers

Buckeye

In my opinion, crates are the safest, easiest prodcuts to use to keep a dog comfortable and confined. Therefore, I would not suggest you get an excersise pen to use instead. Try to make the crate more fun and comfortable. Put some of his favorite, durable toys in the crate with him so he feels better. Use a soft towel, crate mat or bed for him to lay on when he is going to take a nap. Give him treats and praise when he enters the crate on his own. Never force him in to the crate, and never punish him with the crate. If he ever does something bad, putting him in the crate afterwards is not an option. Paw mail me if you have any more questions. I hope your dog is more comfortable in his crate soon.

Buckeye answered on 7/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

how long is he in the crate each day?
each dog no matter what need a routine exercise. Dogs don't like to pee and lay in the same area. I would clean the crate with natures miracle so it is smell free and then give him a nice mat.
also treat and feed him with the door open to introduce it again to him in a positive way. My dog will run to a crate if I have food they even run into things looking at me they are so happy about it. I feed them even just a handful of something. My dogs like the crate too much. I used their food drive on that one.
But, they don't spend all day in them. So maybe that is why they don't feel overly confined.
You can even put up a safety gate to your kitchen that way if he pees it won't be a big deal unless it is carpet.? then you can lay down tons of papers too. I would make whatever you choose a good happy experience with treats, meats, ect to have the area a positive one. :) good luck.