Reilly

How do I get my dog to eat his dry food??

I refuse to feed him table food but when he visits my parents they sneak it to him. When I get him home, he is not interested in his dry stuff. I can't afford human food and need to stick to dry.

He'll even go all day without eating if I only offer dry.

Asked by Reilly on Aug 24th 2009 Tagged dryfood in Pet Food

Answers

When you put his bowl down and he ignores the dry food, pick it up after 15 mins and don't feed him again until his next meal. Do same thing at every meal. Dogs don't starve themselves, they manipulate humans to get what they want. He thinks if he waits you out long enough you're going to give him the goods. He'll eventually eat what's offered. A trick I use when my dog gets finicky is I act as if I'm eating food out of his bowl. He thinks I'm eating his food and when I put it down, he gobbles it up.
If you don't have the strength to wait out your dog and watch him go a few days without eating, mix in some super yummy wet dog food. Just a 1/2 teaspoon, add just a splash of hot water and mix it up so all the kibble has some wet on it and see if your guy likes that.
I have a big dog and 1 can of wet food can last me up to a week, so for you it can last for at least a week.
Then, put your foot down to your parents and no more human food. It causes weight gain and other health problems.

It is much easier to make dogs behave than family, especially parents. Our friend sometimes leaves her dog guide with us on family visits because she can't control her family.

Never mind the the expense, it is very difficult to ensure a complete and balanced diet feeding human food. People claim it can be better, but why take on a very difficult task that failing can harm your dog?

Too much food adds to the problem. lean dogs eat better and live longer, see www.longliveyourdog.com

Just follow the guest's 15 minute routine. A few days not eating won't hurt a healthy dog.

Neka

Dogs become very finicky eaters when they are used to getting human food.

You can put some dry food down, and he WILL eat in a few days. (When he get hungry.) You just have to be strong and wait him out. Just make sure he has plenty of water available.

If he goes more than 3-4 days, you can braze a small amount of hamburger and a few bits of carrot or some white rice and then mix it into the dry food. Then reduce the amount over a week or so until he's back on dry food. You can also warm and mix a small amount of wet food into the kibble.

Then, I would strongly explain to your parents that he is not a grandson. Human food has very little nutritional value and often causes weight gain, toomers and other health issues.

Tell them that if the want to give away human food, you will be glad to come over for dinner a little more often!!!

Neka answered on 8/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sassy

I like Neka's answer but I would feed the doctored up food as soon as you take him home from your parents and cut down from there. Why do the power trip between you two? He got the good stuff from your parents so wean him off again. If your budget is really that tight ask your parents to let you take the goodies home with you so you can add it in decreasing amounts to the food. I would feed much less of the doctored up food so it all gets eaten as it will go bad fast if left out.

As in suppose he usually gets 1/2 cup of food a day. Feed 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of chicken a day [if that is about how spoiled he was at his grandpawents]. Then 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon, then 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon. He will get hungry and hopefully want plain kibble and dig in to his usual feed. He will not starve in this short period of time. You are just resetting his feeding.

Sassy answered on 8/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Enzo

I think the answers already here will help you but maybe you should add something to the food to make it more appatising and maybe get some wet dog food and mix it in. From what i read in the 1st answer i think that will help you a lot!

Enzo answered on 8/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

"Never mind the the expense, it is very difficult to ensure a complete and balanced diet feeding human food. People claim it can be better, but why take on a very difficult task that failing can harm your dog?"
While a home-prepared diet does take a certain amount of knowledge to feed correctly, I have found that, with raw at least, it's not really that hard once you know what to do. Treader's been on raw for 11 months now, and even my vet who doesn't like the raw diet sees a big difference in him and wants me to keep it up.

Sonny

Mix the dry food with peanut butter.

Sonny answered on 8/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer