How do I get my dog to accept a new puppy?

I have a 3 dogs: an 8-year-old beagle, a 5-year-old yellow lab and a 1-year-old boxer. My mom just gave me a 2-month-old miniature poodle and he is adorable. My beagle and my lab already accepted it, but my boxer doesn't seem to like him. Every time he sees him he starts to growl and I never had the courage to put them together because I am too scared that my boxer will kill him. What do I do?

Asked by Member 1039701 on Sep 24th 2011 Tagged miniaturepoodle, boxer, aggression, puppy, socialization, kill, accept, new in Socialization

Answers

SNEAKERS

First of all, let me say what a wonderful FurFamily you have there !

Dogs regardless of Breed, have extremely varied personalities. HA, you are apparently experiencing that now. Some Dogs accept a new one, and others don't, and one must make a special effort on those who "don't accept", to let them know they're not being replaced in your heart by the new one. That is the most likely reason, for the rejection.

You are wise to NOT allow the new puppy to be alone/close contact with your Boxer, and you must maintain that "distance", until you can reassure the Boxer that it's still loved and wanted.

Give the Boxer a LOT of personal time/attention, and at some point things will get better, but, don't get in any rush about this !

SNEAKERS answered on 9/24/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer