Marley

How do I get my chocolate lab puppy to stop chewing on the furniture?

Asked by Marley on Aug 22nd 2008 in Chewing

Answers

Layla

First, you cant leave her unattended. Second, when she starts to chew on anything she's not allowed you need to redirect her to something enticing that she IS allowed to chew. Lastly, it will just take time for her to stop her chewing and for labs that seems to be a loooong time (ours took about 2 years to get out of the puppy stage).

You can also try the bitter sprays but I've found they dont work as well as just keeping an eye on them.

Layla answered on 8/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Karlie R.I.P October 12th 07

Well if she's young like a month and a half or a bit more thats all they do, CHEW, CHEW, CHEW! But if he/she keeps going to one particualr spot make a spray.
Mix the following ingredients together in a squirt bottle.
1.Vinigar
2.lemon juice
3. Baking soda
(I think the vinigar and baking soda might errupt so stick with the first 2 ingredients)
Sincerely, Karlie

Karlie R.I.P October 12th 07 answered on 8/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Do you have a crate for your puppy? It is important that your puppy is crate trained, not only for the prevention of chewing, but also for potty training, separation anxiety, etc. A good thing to do with your puppy when they are chewing, is to claim the objects in your home. When your puppy approaches the couch to chew on, touch them in the neck and tell them 'no.' The touch will simulate a bite, and will tell your dog that this is YOUR couch, not theirs. When he backs away, give him his own toy to chew on. This will teach your puppy that he is allowed to have things when you say he can have them, and he can only chew on things you say are okay to chew on. Your puppy will put up a challenge for you, so be patient, and persistent, and you will get him to stop chewing up your things.

When you see him chewing on furniture approach him and say ''no''If he doesn't stop,grab his shoulder and shake him.Don't worry-it won't hurt him,this is what their mothers do when they are too naughty.Also you can put some pepper on furniture he usually chews.This will surely stop him.But if you don't want to make dirty and smelly your funiture the first way is better.

Missy Houdini

Keep your puppy on a leash at all times. It is best to keep the puppy attached to you.You must beome the pack leader of your home. Be calm and assertive, never angry. You want your puppy to learn to watch you, and be ready for whatever you want of him/her. Exercise you puppy daily with walks This makes their day and yours. Your puppy needs lots of stimulation beyond your home. Give your puppy rules and boundries. Teach sit, come, stay. It is important that your puppy learn to be a good dog citizen. Keep tiny chicken treats in your pocket for positive reinforcement, that way no mistakes will be made with you always watching. You want to prevent problems before thay happen. Tug or jerk the leash. to the side when you see behavior you don't want, say leave it. Watch Cesar Millan on the National Geographic Channel and visit www.cesarmillaninc.com for more info and to sign up for their newsletter. He also has many books.I am an ambasador for Cesar Millan, you can always write to me also.

Missy Houdini answered on 8/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer