How do I get my chihuahua to stop barking when I am not home?

I have a one year old chihuahua that whines and barks when I have to leave for extended periods of time. My neighbor has called animal control on me because of it and they say if the barking continues I'll be fined for disturbing the peace. I don't know how to stop it because he is pretty good when I'm home. I didn't even realize it was that bad until animal control showed up. I love my dog and I don't want to get rid of him. But, I can't afford a fine. I'm very frustrated please help!!!
Amanda

Asked by Member 606726 on Mar 12th 2008 in Barking

Best Answer

Zoe

you need to get online and do some reasearch on how to keep your dog entretained when you're not home. If you tire him out with a fast walk before you go to work, he might feel better and sleep a lot during the day. you can also give him a kong filled with something like peanut butter or kong stuffin'(sold in pet stores). There are other recipes online to make stuffing for kongs. If he's not an agressive chewer, you can also try giving him a busy bone and see if it keeps him calm.

Work with your neighbor, tell her you're working on helping your dog calm down and apologize for the noise. Then, when you're trying different strategies, she can tell you if they reduce the barking or not.

How long have you had your dog? and how long has he been barking when you leave?

Zoe answered on Mar 12th.

Answers

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels

As the owner of several Chuhuahuas I leave the T.V on when I leave, usually a cartoon channel or Disney. My Chi's used to howl/whine/bark when I left and leaving the T.V on has stopped this behavior. I think they just like to hear voices, so they don't feel alone. It may not work immediately, but it will surely help and it will get better. Good Luck!!

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels answered on 3/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

ya can't..i have a chi that barks..it is getting a barking collar for its b-day..i'll let ya know if it works..
i know how ya feel
the only other option ya have is de-barking the little sucker.

Roxie

Have you tried leaving a large bone or chew toy like a bully stick with your pup, something that would take all day to chew down? I know its hard but if you can walk your dog before you leave and in the evening this may help him sleep during the day. Also doggy daycare or a dog walker can be helpful. My dogs go to daycare a couple times a week, they get good playtime and socialization and come home tired dogs, they sleep real well the next day.

You also might try leaving the house for a few minutes and then coming back in so your Chihuahua knows your coming back. Do this a few times a day, maybe on your day off and each time stay away a little longer, he may have separation anxiety.

Roxie answered on 3/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

As with the other answer, tv does help. Sometimes the dogs are just naturally barking at noises they hear outside. If it's warm weather, don't leave windows open, use air conditioner if you have one. It's natural for dogs of any type to bark at strangers, noises, etc. Tv distracts from the noises, if it's excessive you can actually get monitors to watch them during the day and you can even talk to them on the answering machine so they don't miss you as much. Bark collars might work, never used one. I know my chi when I'm home, he starts barking at something and nothing shuts him up, luckily we own our home an he can't be heard by neighbors. Read online, talk to your vet, keep asking till you find what works for your dog, as they are all different. Try the tv, loud enough but not so neighbors hear it. Are you in an apartment? Good Luck to you.

Mojo

Hi,
I love love love chimowies. We had one when I was growing up, and rescued one from Mexico on the street when she was 8 days old and weighed 8 oz.

I know this sounds cruel, but I've heard it works wonders; just seems to be 'over the top' for a lil guy. I've heard that if you muzzle them when you're home and they're barking, they learn very quickly NOT TO BARK. I mean, lightning fast. I would try that and then I would leave the house and listen for any barking, if he start, go in and use the muzzle again for a few minutes. Also, I "heard"; there are collars that will 'alert' the dog to stop barking (without an electric jolt or anything) in some certain way. Check those out. I had an idea for a collar where you can record your voice telling the dog to STOP BARKING when it's activated by a bark! HEY, IT'S MY IDEA; NOBODY BETTER STEAL IT OR ELSE! :)

Or put him in a quiet room with lots of 'sound absorbing' stuff. I'm sure you know it's annoying for your neighbor. :)

Mojo answered on 3/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer