Toby

How do I get my Alaskan Malamute to stop pulling on the lead while walking?

Ive spent a fortune getting my Alaskan Malamute trained and tried every kind of leash, he still pulls alot on the lead while being walked. He is 15 months old and quite strong. Any suggestions on how to improve his walking skills!? Its extremely frustrating and tiring being dragged on every walk!!

Asked by Toby on Feb 21st 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Natcho

What kind of collar do you use?
For Natcho, I used to use a prong collar. ((The collar was the spikey things))
It recinacts a bite to disipline a dog.

If you don't like collars like that, try a martingale dog collar.

Toby must be a big dog, so if he pulls, yank him back and say 'HEEL' but make sure after he heels to loosten up on the leash.

Natcho answered on 2/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rosie

Pulling is instinct for these dogs, that's what he's bred to do. But it takes 2 to pull, so he must feel he's getting rewarded when he does it. Do lots of about turns (go the opposite direction he's pulling in). You'll get dizzy and it'll take a long time, but by doing this and not allowing him to get to where he wants by pulling, he'll eventually get the idea. Just do it in short spurts at first because you'll both get too frustrated if you keep at it too long. Put a different collar, head halter, or a no pull harness with the ring on the front when you're taking him out for exercise - train separately from exercising. Best possible scenario is to wear him out doing something else (fetch?) before you train. Much easier to train a tired dog!

Rosie answered on 2/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Easier dogs will give up their pulling with a few good snaps of the leash combined with a stern "Bad dog!". You can work up to forceful corrections with the leash doubled up in both hands and your whole body behind it. But you don't want to use any more force than you need. One gentle technique I like is to just stop when he pulls. He wants to go. If you move forward when the leash is slack, and stop when he pulls, he should quickly figure out the only way to get to go, is not to pull. This is about teaching him not to pull, not getting somewhere. The man that taught it to me said "If in a half hour you haven't made it out to the front walk, fine, you have taught him a lesson. Pulling the dog backwards is a good technique too.

Still, you may want to switch to a head collar. The leading brands are Promise, Haltie, and Gentle Leader. They have a strap going around the dogs nose looking something like a muzzle. They work by pulling the dogs head around. No other way gives you such great control with so little force. The prong collar is now a dangerous relic of value only for its macho looks. Do not consider using one without hands on instruction from somebody with plenty of experience with them.

I agree with Rosie. It is very tiring and tedious work but he will get the message. Try a gentle leader collar. You will have much more control of his head. But you have to be more stubborn than him. Kali used to drag me all over the place. She weighs 117 lbs. and I an no match for her strength. Between the gentle leader collar and switching directions, she now walks like a lady. I do occasionally have to give her a refresher, but she no longer drags me everywhere. You might want to tire him out a little before your walk. Malamutes were bred to pull sleds, so its part of their nature.

Jet

Check out my latest diary entree. It tells you.

Jet answered on 2/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

try the sensation harness. It snaps in the front.
www.softouchconcepts.com

measure and order. also there is a pamphlet inside that you follow on how to train tips on using the harness.
good luck.

Lexie

you can try a head collor it helps a lot of dogs. or a harness. every dog is different my gsd lexie does great with the harness but not the head collor. Sounlds like like your dog pulls a lot might want to try the head collor first you can get one at wal mart or pet smart.

Lexie answered on 2/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The Dog Whisperer says having a leash high up on the neck (right behind the ears) is the easiest way to control a dog when walking. You can use something you already own and get it to fit this way, or you can check out the Illusion Collar at www.cesarsway.com. I personally have used the Gentle Leader and find it very helpful in reducing pulling. I have the same issue with my Weim pulling, pulling, pulling!

Storm

i know how you feels we have spent a fortune on traing and different leads the halti and easy leads were great at first but then she learnt how to pull with these have just ordered an illusion collar to try that just want to enjoy a walk insted of dreading it. she has even injured my shoulder will let you know if new collar works

Storm answered on 3/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

shadow

hi we know just how you feel we have bought every lead on the market our mal is two and still pulls i would like to go out and just enjoy a nice walk ive been out for two hours and he still pulling so about 9 month ago i got myself a walky dog it attaches to the bike you can cycle hands free and the dog runs along side getting his much needed exercise but your hands are free and no being pulled he love it and now when he is on his lead he has calmed down a bit he still has his moments but not as bad as before give it a go it cost me 28 british pounds what have you got to lose , if you-re like us you've probably spent loads already please let me know how you get on thanks

shadow answered on 3/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have found that you cant go wrong with a halti collar. i have used them with all my mally's and they are by far the best to use. there will be the initial "getting used" to it on his/her face but if you let the dog wear it around the yard and house with it on,initially with no lead attached, they will get used to it. after about acouple of days if the dog is tolerating it attach a lead and let them run around the yard supervised ofcourse with it on. if the dog tries with its front legs to get it off clap or say aahh and it will stop. then start holding onto the lead so the dog gets used to the pressure. with these haltis if the dog is pulling you, you will only be pulling back the direction of its head and not the whole body weight which is a lot better. see if you can get the one with the safety clip that attaches to their collar that way if the dog somehow got it off you wont lose your dog cause its attached to the collar around its neck.

www.youtube.com

This will help