How do I get my 9 month-year-old puppy to not be scared of me?

I accidentally stepped on my puppies paw one day when I was walking him. I immediately treated his leg. Ever since then he hasn't been following me like he used to. He also never comes when I call his name. In addition, he doesn't follow my commands. What can I do to not let him be scared of me?

Asked by Member 1103920 on Apr 3rd 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Blossom

It might take some time but what you can do is to take a treat or toy your puppy likes/loves and crouch down as to appear smaller and less of a threat to the puppy. Then hold out the treat for your puppy at full arm length the first time and eventually bring the treat closer towards you until you can pat him without him noticing too much. Also keep patting and acting friendly.
If this doesn't work then this answer might help

nz.answers.yahoo.com

Hope this helps!

Blossom answered on 4/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Wow, 9 monts old with no recall? Training every day using positive methods will help both you & your dog. It will strengthen the bond & he will associate you with good things. Don't dwell on the past. Focus on the future. Two good books are "Train Your Dog Lile a Pro" by Donaldson, or "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Miller.
Also, at this age he is a teenager. He can be quite a handful, but with training you can get a great adult at the end.
One more thimg... He could be gping through a fear stage. Gentle positive training will help usher him through this in a healthy manner.

My guess is that he is responding as much to your cues now as to the fact that he 'remembers' you stepped on his foot a while back. You are probably a bit nervous now, trying hard to soothe and coax him - dogs pick up on your social cues, and he's probably just acting nervous because that's how you're coming across (intentionally, or not! I know you have the best intentions in mind!).

My advice would be to pick up as if nothing happened, act totally normal around him!

I didn't get from your question whether he ever followed your commands or whether he stopped after the foot stepping 'incident'. Either way, train, train, train! Start the simple recall command in your kitchen without distractions, work on the sit stays, etc...with patience and persistence, he'll be happily following you around in no time.