Baily

How do I get my 8 month old Jack Russell to stop bitting/mouthing when she plays.

I have an 8 month old Jack Russell who thinks that people are chew toys. particularly hands and feet. If I tell her no it seems to make her want to chew on me even more. If I try to grab her she thinks I'm trying to play chase and it becomes a game of tag. (wich would be fine if she didn't use her mouth to tag me). If I try to ignore her or walk away she she grabs onto my pant leg and begins to shake her head. I know that she is only trying to play, but it becomes a big problem when there is company over and she wants to chew on them too! She is otherwise a really good dog...Please help

Asked by Baily on Feb 26th 2008 Tagged bitting, chewing, mouthing in Socialization

Best Answer

Rosie

I agree with the previous answers but wanted to emphasize that giving your pup enough exercise is a key ingredient in getting her to play nice. She could be frustrated and full of energy with no outlet. She should be over her teething phase by now, so biting should decrease. If she grabs your pantleg, leave the room and close the door.

But, most of all, walk her, play with her and generally wear her out. Then do some obedience training using positive methods and you should see an improvement.

Rosie answered on Feb 26th.

Answers

JRTs are a VERY high energy and HIGH PLAY DRIVE breed. Do you have any toys for her to play with? Snoopy doesn't w(hen he does they're too chewed up use in a few hours), so when he tries to use my hands for a tug rope. I scold him (e.g. "NO!") and he quits right away. He didn't do this when my grandma had Sadie or when he had lots of toys around. Just try to have LOTS of toys, maybe another dog to play with, and be sure to give him the exercise he needs. JRTs want to do everything with their master (not nescessarily the owner of the dog), even take out the garbage. They are also generally smart and love to learn tricks. (Of course, you need to keep the training sessions short 'n' sweet or he'll loose intrest.)

Juno

As Snoopy advised, definitely try to channel the biting/mouthing into fun, interactive toys. When Baily starts biting a hand or foot, replace the body part with a toy in the mouth, then calmly walk away. If you praise him once he chews the toy, his attention might immediately turn back to you - just like how telling him "no" only got him more excited. So hopefully not reacting to him when he advances and giving him toys for biting will teach him what's acceptable to bite. Good luck!

Juno answered on 2/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Molly

Molly used to do that at that age too. Toys with sqeakers worked for us. Now she just follows us around when we're doing things with her sqeaker toy in tow and the sound and action of making it sqeak soothes her.

Molly answered on 2/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If this were my dog, I'd do exactly what his mother and littermates would do with her; yelp sharply and stop playing immediately. Turn your back on her and don't make eye contact for a few minutes. Wait for her to become calm before you resume playing.

Have everyone who comes in contact with her do this, and you should start to see an improvement within a matter of days.

It works really well since you're playing up something that she's already got ingrained in her; dogs teach each other how to behave using a combination of body language and sharp sounds.

By imitating what other dogs would do with her when she gets mouthy, you're ensuring that she'll understand a bit easier.

Most pups learn this from their littermates and mom at a young age, but sometimes when we take them away from their litter/mom too early, they don't really learn some of the basics of good canine citizenship, so to speak. LOL!

Miss Buddie

Agreeing with all the answers here. Also, Miss Buddie is a "power chewer" so she also destroys a lot of toys in no time. The best toy we have are made by Kong. They're really hard rubber and practically indestructible. Buddie's had one for nearly 2 months and it barely has any teeth marks on it.

I also can attest to the power of daily walks. Since we've started walking her twice a day, her indoor behavior is so much better.

Miss Buddie answered on 2/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer