How do i get my 5 month old chihuahua mix puppy to stop trying to eat everything on the ground while we walk?

Now that it's autumn, there are all kinds of leaves, sticks, garbage, pine cones, etc. everywhere. It's hard to keep him away from everything. He doesn't just chew things, he tries to eat them. I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself or get sick. He coughed & almost threw up something after our walk today. I've had him for about a month. We walk every day, at least twice a day. He listens well to me when we are at home, but outside he just seems to lose his mind, and doesn't respond to commands 'no' 'aiy!' or a tug on the leash. He also tugs every which way on the leash, and only rarely will he actually walk at my side or behind with a loose leash.

Asked by Member 1131551 on Sep 19th 2012 Tagged inappropriateeating, leash, puppy, leaves, garbage in Leash Walking

Answers

Chase

Work on the 'Leave it' command. Start in the house with whatever, and tell him to leave it. Reward with something better. Cheese pieces or hotdogs or leftover chicken from the night before. Because your pooch is so small cut up the training treats to a pretty small size, my 65lb dog's training treats are generally the size of the nail on my index finger. Big enough that she can get a taste of it and not choke, but small enough that she can eat a bunch without getting full.
It'll take some time but soon he'll realize that 'leave it' means 'hey I have something awesome but you have to leave that alone to get it'.

Chase answered on 9/19/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chase is right, trading is the right method of training your dog. Rewarding your dog when he obeys is an excellent technique. Not only teach him the 'leave it' command, but also work on basic commands like 'sit','fetch' and 'no'. They can lessen down lot of behavior problems in dogs. Good luck!