Biscuit

How do I get my 10 month old pitbull to stop chewing up everything?

I have to put him in a cage if I leave him alone because he chews up everything. Is he still young and he'll grow out of it or is there something I can do to get him to stop

Asked by Biscuit on Nov 23rd 2007 Tagged chewingpitbullcage in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Teaching a puppy not to chew and teaching a puppy not to chew when you're not home are essentially two different things. The first is easier. If you catch him, tell him no and offer him something appropriate to chew on, such as a toy or treat.

The second is harder because of the way dogs "work". Dogs are pack animals. When you're home, you make the decisions and control what he gets to play with and what he gets to chew on. When you're not home, he's in the position where he has to make his own choices. There's no leader there to take over and tell him what he can and cannot do.

If crating works for you, please stick with it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with crating a dog when you're out, as long as your dog gets enough exercise and attention normally. It's also much safer for a dog that chews to be crated than to be loose in the house, for obvious reasons.

Try leaving for short periods (10 minutes or shorter) and praise him when you come back and all is intact.

Abby answered on Nov 23rd.

Answers

Mya

when my german shepherd was a pup she used to tear up my clothes in the hamper and chew on the furniture. i dont know exactly what your dog is chewing but we decided to put our clothes hamper into the closet and pick up anything that mya could get to to ruin. as far as furniture and stuff, their is this "yucky spray" that tehy sell at any pet supply store like petco that you can spray on things and the dogs hate the taste so they stay away from it. or you could try buying a baby gate and gating off rooms that the dog is chewing most of the stuff in, maybe gate the dog in a kitchen where they cant really chew to much until the puppy gets the idea. its also a good idea to give him soemthing to do while your gone, try getting a Kong Toy and putting a treat in it. its an indestructible toy and it takes them a long time to get the treat out, but he will smell it and go after it. hope this helps you!! good luck!

Mya answered on 11/23/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Dizzy

Three words: Exercise & mental stimulation!

After I get back from a good walk, run, or game session with my dogs they are completely different animals. The 7 month old Lab mix down the street loves when I show up at the door because it always means fun. She will jump, rear, and buck with excitement but by the time I bring her home I can motion her to sit, unclip her leash, and all is well in the world. Her family tells me she chews less and sleeps better when I have time to take her out.

Dizzy answered on 11/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer