Jonny☺

How do I find the quick/vein in black nails?

My dog has black nails and I want to help him trim it when it gets long. He's the first animal I've ever had with black nails. Any tips on finding the quick/vein? I heard trimming it little by little helps.

Asked by Jonny☺ on Aug 2nd 2010 Tagged nailtrim in Home Grooming

Answers

Yes. You had good advise.
Trimming off just the pointed end and not back where the nail gets wider should avoid the quick.

I stopped using clippers years ago and use a Dremel tool instead. I started training them for the file with an emery board. Then I let them get used to hearing the Dremel's sound.

Once in a while the Vet cuts nails and I smooth the edges with a file. I have wood floors so I try to keep them nice....try.

I am going to second the dremel tool. After you get the dog used to it their is less chance of causing problems by cutting off to much.