How do I entertain my doxie?

I adopted a 2-year-old dachshund from the shelter a few weeks ago. He's so sweet and cuddly, but I think he's bored. He hasn't shown interest in his toys and lately, he's been refusing to go on some of his walks (as far as I can tell, it's not due to anything changes or anything that's happened recently). Sometimes he likes to chase me around the house, or vice versa, but then he quickly gets bored of that. How do I keep my doxie entertained and help him get enough exercise?

Asked by Member 1118209 on Jun 29th 2012 in Dachshund

Answers

Mavis

If dogs aren't exposed to toys when they are younger, they may not know how to play. I don't know if you know the background of your dog but that may be the problem. If that is the issue, playing with other dogs may help him learn how to play.

If he is food driven, you can also try putting his food in something like a food puzzle or a treat ball and he can work to get the food out. We have a Doxie at work that loves to eat his food out of a food puzzle. Keeps him busy.

There are many food puzzles available. Most pet stores carry them and there are a lot on line that you can try.

Hope this helps you. Give him some time and hopefully he will start playing soon!

Mavis answered on 6/29/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maggie

We use food puzzles with our doxies....most doxies are very food motivated so food puzzles work to wear out their minds without them getting into trouble...however in a food puzzle or treat ball make sure you don't use to many treats as it is very dangerous for a doxie to get overweight (back issues). I started them using smelly treats mixed with their kibble, now that they realize that food comes out, i only use their kibble and 3-6 actual treats in it. This way I can control how many calories they are getting.

Maggie answered on 6/29/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with Mavis Food Puzzle should do the trick for you. Take him to dog parks where he can play with other dogs. You can also teach him play fetch, just keep adding one or the other game in his schedule, will keep him from being bored.