Peyton

How do I cure my dog's itchy ears?

My 6 month old Minature Aussie is always itching his ears, even to the point where he cuts and makes them bleed. I haven't specifically pointed it out to the vet, but they've never noticed anything wrong. I have recently bought some dog ear cleaning solution with aloe vera in it and that seems to help a bit, but it doesn't last long and you're only supposed use it two times a day. Any other suggestions how to cure it or ideas on what could be causing the itch??

Asked by Peyton on Jan 18th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

I'm curious to know why you have pointed it out to your vet. Obviously your pup is stressed by this and not pointing it out to a vet seems strange to me.
Ear infections cannot be treated with ear cleaners.
Your first step to treating the problem is finding out what the problem is.

Hector

Your dog could have ear mites, an infection or any of many ear problems. You really should take him to his vet specifically for this problem.

Ignoring this is dangerous to your dog, not to mention terribly painful and uncomfortable.

As a true animal lover, please get your doggie some relief first thing tomorrow morning.

Hector answered on 1/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with Deogie. If you bring it to your vet's attention, they can look inside the ear for infections or other conditions that cause itchiness. My bet is that he has chronic ear infections or an infection that has been untreated if he's scratching at them this desperately.

Also, beware of ear cleaning solutions. Ear infections can be caused by a lot of different conditions, like food allergies or intolerances. Some dogs are just prone to them no matter what, and these dogs who have sensitive ears can actually react to ear cleaning solutions and become worse when you use them, even if there is the appearance of a slight improvement at first.

Again, another great reason to consult a vet rather than try to diagnose or treat this on your own without knowing for sure what is going on.

I think your vet can get to the bottom of the itching and with proper meds, he'll be much happier.

Good luck, hope he's better soon.

the only thing I can suggest is a vet appointment to have the vet swab the ear for testing.
They can determine what is in there for one thing. Then I recommend not pouring any solution into the ears.
If any thing let the vet treat the ears, then only buy ear wipes to clean them.
Sometimes the over the counter ear solutions cause more problems than anything.

There are medications that can be put in the ears, see your Vet about them.

Also ask about Revolution. It replaces Frontline and Heartgard, but does more. It controls a bunch of parasites including mange and ear mites, hookworm, whipworm.

Since most dogs who have ear mites get them repeatedly, this might be better than repeated trips for itchy ears.

holly

Another vote for the vet here. It could also be a yeast infection and putting anything but the right medicine in there just makes it worse.

holly answered on 1/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Petri

Check out www.myPETfection.com. If his ears are itchy and dry on the outside, use their Deodorizer/Allergy Spray to moisturize the skin and stop the itching. If the inside of the ears are dirty, use their Ear Cleaner Spray to get rid of the yeast inside his ears and prevent it from coming back. Both products work extremely well and are 100% Organic and Non-Toxic. Good luck!

Petri answered on 1/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer