How do I adopt another dog

I have tried several shelters etc. I am told there are two and three applications ahead of mine. It seems I can't get the dog I want. Any suggestions? My dog of 14yrs passed on April 4th 2014 and the loneliness is almost unbearable. Please Help Me. Julie

Asked by Member 1181626 on May 3rd 2014 in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

That sound a little strange to me. Have you tried the SPCA? Or shelters out of state?

You know, I hear stories like this sometimes and once I got the runaround from a couple of shelters. Usually they're all-volunteer organizations, so things get passed around a lot and not everyone is on the same page. Which is lame, because you want a dog and the dogs need homes. The adoption process shouldn't be first come, first served; instead, it should be about the best fit for the applicants and the dog.

It can take a while to find the right rescue, so it might be good to call ahead and find out about the process, go visit the shelter, and see what things are like. Maybe explain the issues you've been having with other organizations, and you'll find the right situation. But don't rush into anything; you're going to have this new pet for the next 10 to 15 years. It's going to be your family. Make sure it's the right one for you, not just the one you can get soonest.