Z

How cold is too cold for a dog to stay outside during the day?

Asked by Z on Nov 20th 2008 Tagged weather in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

♥Tiffy♥

I think that as long as your dog has shelter outside like a doghouse that is enclosed and a nice coat of fur, he will be okay. Although I wouldn't recommend keeping your dog outside in the cold. I think that is a bit harsh, no matter how cold it is. Maybe a hour or two, but not all day.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 11/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

TicTac Orange Refresher

That is a really tough question to answer due to all the variables.
A Husky can stay out in all kinds of cold weather that would kill a Chihuahua. A Shih Tzu can withstand a colder temp than a Greyhound.
Also, is this a dog that is normally outside? Does the dog have shelter? I would say that it isn't too cold for an outside dog that has lived several winters outside, with an elevated doghouse, with a flap on the door and straw bedding. If it is below zero a heat lamp would be best. (remove straw and replace with non flammable bedding.)

If it is a puppy, than it is usually too cold at a mild temp since that can't regulate their body temperature well.

TicTac Orange Refresher answered on 11/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dexter

Along with an enclosed doghouse he/she needs bedding in there, also. An old, thick blanket or two, or pet bed designed for outdoor use with an old thick blanket.

For a more accurate answer, we'd need to know the breed, age and general health of the dog.

Most large breed dogs can be safely kept outside down to about 15-20 degrees with proper shelter and blankets/something to snuggle into-keep in mind that this recommendation is only for those dogs who are kept outside continually and are used to it.

There are so many factors that affect the answer to this question. You need to ask your vet because you and he/she know your dog's environment and health best.

Dexter answered on 11/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Depends on the breed. For a dog with short hair like yours, I'd say 50 degrees would be too cold. Just please make sure she has a dog house with lots of bedding in it.

Ace

My dogs love to stay outside, just as long as they arent shivering or all curled up they are fine. They have dog houses, and the porch is covered which is where they lay most of the time. I also have blankets out there for them. As long as your dog isnt shivering, or curled up he should be fine. But if the weather changes while you are gone, your dog could become very cold, and that would be cruel.

Ace answered on 11/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer