how can you tell the difference between a basset and a bloodhound at six weeks

He is predominantly black with tan markings on the nose,cheeks,above the eyes, legs, and under the tail. He has white marking on paws, very tip of tail, and a small patch on chest. He has typical basset and bloodhound top dome shaped head and long ears.

Asked by Member 888713 on Sep 19th 2009 Tagged bloodhound, bassethound, breed, blackandtan, mantle in Bloodhound

Answers

I'm not sure but I think a bloodhound would have much longer legs.

B.J., CGC

I can't, but I am sure a basset or a bloodhound breeder can! I am sure there are many notable differences visible to a breeder of one or the other. There are many breeds where the puppies resemble other breeds... particularly in the hounds and in the terriers. Imagine trying to determine if a pup is a sheltie or a collie without seeing the parents of the pup! Even a black German Shepherd and a black lab puppy look the same to most people at 6 weeks of age, yet to me, as a lab breeder, I can instantly see the differences.

B.J., CGC answered on 9/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer