how can you give your dog stitches at home - instead of going to the vet? she has a open wound on her front leg

Asked by Member 752318 on Oct 13th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

I really would not recommend that. You should see the vet.

Peanut

that sounds really bad and needs a vet's attention. unless ur trained in the medical field, i don't suggest giving ur dog stitches yourself. take him to the vet asap. good luck!

Peanut answered on 10/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Nibbles

If your dog needs stiches he should see the vet. Would you be willing to give stiches to a child? Just because he is a dog does not mean he deserves any less in reasonable medical care. Even if you had the expertise, you would be running the risk of infection.If it is a matter of expense I think the vet would be willing to make payment arrangments rather then seeing an animal suffer. Please don't consider doing this. No matter how well meaning you are, you can do some serious harm to the dog.

Nibbles answered on 10/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bailey

Please do not attempt to do this. This dog needs medical attention. You have no idea what could happen if this is not done properly. There is a big chance of an infection that could kill your dog and I'm not sure but they probably apply atibiotics and some medication to numb the area. I found one of my dogs about 5 years ago and he was in very bad condition. Some moron apparently beat him, starved him, and he was very dehydrated. The vet had to sew him up and he had to take lots of antibiotics for awhile. If it is a money issue you would be better to take him to a no kill shelter than to do this. Please I am pleading with you do not do this..you most likely will kill your dog and it deserves better than this.

Bailey answered on 10/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels

Wow! I would suggest you not do that! Take her to the vet , it really isn't that expensive. You doing it yourself will cause alot more problems in the long run.

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels answered on 10/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Please do not attempt to fix open wounds on your own. Serious, SERIOUS things can happen if you try to give your dog your own stitches. I actually had a family who bought a Dobie puppy from me. They left it in the care of their neighbor while they were out of town - I didn't live in the same state as them, so they couldn't bring him to me. While in the neighbor's care, the puppy somehow got his foot stuck in the fence, and when he pulled it out, ripped a huge hole is his leg. The neighbor actually sewed it up with regular sewing thread and a needle - how he got the dog to sit still through all of that is beyond me, but the dog, who was to be a show puppy, ended up needing his leg amputated. By the time the owners arrived home, it was so infected from whatever the neighbor had and had NOT done that it couldn't be saved. Please always use caution when you are trying to 'fix' your own issues. You may think it will save you money at first, but it really will end up costing you more in the long run. Go visit your vet - they are there for a reason.

♥Maybelle♥

YOU REALLY NEED TO SEE A VET...DON'T ATTEMPT STITCHES AT HOME!!!

♥Maybelle♥ answered on 10/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

You need to take your dog to a vet!
She'll need an injectable pain killer to numb the area & also sterile equipment to stitch with.
Denying her needed medical care is against the law!

Unless you have the expertise of a vet, leave serious treatment like that to the vet. If this was the old days, I guess you'd have no choice...but this is not the old days and there is advanced medical care for both dogs and people available. If someone can't afford to provide that medical care for their dog, then why even own one? I know that this must be hard for you, but your dog needs medical attention...like, as soon as possible!
Um...best of luck.