How can we groom our dog without him biting us?

Each time we groom our dog he bites us. I am patient with him all the time. I even give him treats if he doesn't bite us during grooming time. But for some reason our dog just doesn't like to be groomed. He is 5 1/2 yrs old in April. So any advice with how to get our dog to stop biting during grooming time?

Asked by Member 773866 on Nov 28th 2008 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

~Emma~ RL1

Do you do it in small steps?

You might try keeping the sessions small. Can you brush him, stop while he is calm and give him a treat, and stop. Then come back to it later.

Keep increasing the amount of time before he gets the treat. Be careful not to go too fast.

~Emma~ RL1 answered on 11/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with the person who answered you before I did. But I might also suggest trying a muzzle. Teach your dog that biting is unacceptable, no matter what. You might also try grooming in steps, each time continue grooming for longer time periods. It is possible to get your dog used to being groomed. And always reward good behavior. Good luck with getting your pooch clean!

Stormy

What type of "grooming" are you doing? Nails? Bath? Brushing?

Every time your dog threatens to bite you or does bite you and you back off and end the session, in your dogs mind- he's won! He wanted you to stop and he has learned all he has to do is throw a fuss and threaten you and you give in.

First of all I would suggest buying an inexpensive muzzle for your own safety. If its brushing you have a problem with, as mentioned in the other post... Brush a stroke and give a treat, dont save the treats till the end of the session!! Brush, treat, brush, treat. You can also use string cheese or hot dogs.. have someone hold it in front of him and let him take tiny bites while you brush.

For nails, if you use a clipper he may have had a bad experience in the past- gotten quicked or just tenses when he feels the pressure and so you may want to try a dremel. If he pulls away dont let go of his foot- dont let him win! You are in control!

Stormy answered on 11/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer