How can I treat my American Bulldog for kennel cough without antibiotics?

I adopted a puppy from the pound 8 days ago and they told me he'd most likely get kennel cough. Its been 8 days and hes showing no symptoms. My 1 year old American bulldog is coughing and gagging and feels hot to the touch. I have another dog that is 2 years old and she isnt showing any symptoms either! Why is my Bulldog the only one sick? And why did it take 7 days to show symptoms? I was told that if the puppy had it that Id know in 24 to 48 hours after bringing him home. I want my bulldog to feel better without the use of antibiotics.

Asked by Member 839000 on May 23rd 2009 Tagged kennelcoughquestion in The Dogster Website

Answers

"How can I treat my American Bulldog for kennel cough without antibiotics?"
I don't know much about treating kennel cough, but I do know the answer to that question in particular. The answer? . . . You can't.
Good luck.

Hi - Sorry your kid has this - Yes, you can give robitussin DM - MOST vets will say to give this amount:
SEE this chart guide : save it....
dogs.thefuntimesguide.com

See here for more help on alternatives ....
www.allexperts.com

Dante

Kennel cough is a virus that will just run its course. The reason that most vets give antibiotics is to prevent it from developing into a pneumonia. Viruses have an incubation period from the time the pet is exposed to the time the pet actually shows symptoms. This is why it took several days before your bulldog started to cough. the reason they told you that your new puppy would most likely start to show sign in just 1-2 days is because your puppy most likely had already been in the shelter for a few days and this is where he would have been exposed. I don't know what breed your other dog is, but i'm guessing your bulldog is showing symptoms because the anatomy of his trachea and airway. True american bulldogs have a somewhat squished in face which gives a different shape to their palate. Your bulldog should start to get better on his own, but watch for any green nasal discharge. If he seems to get worse, he may need antibiotics.

Dante answered on 5/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer