Bella

How can I train my dog not to chase rabbits while on leash walk?

Bella is 85 lbs and 1-1/2 years old, so still kind of a puppy. She walks very well otherwise. Even with squirrels, I have trained her to sit until they get up a tree.

Rabbits are a whole other thing. She strains and whines, and it is all I can do to hang on to her. If she sees the rabbit before I do, I sometimes have to let her go, and catch up with her when the rabbbit has found a safe place and she can't get to it any longer.

I appreciate any suggestions.
Linda

Asked by Bella on Jun 12th 2013 Tagged chasing in Behavior & Training

Answers

Work on the leave it, stay and down commands. Use treats as a reward, like new Greenies hip and joint chews. My dog is like that too when she sees other dogs (she's small, I hold on) because she lives in a house with cats and craves doggie attention. Dogs have their triggers, and in your dog's case it is rabbits. The good thing is that you don't have this problem in the winter when they're underground in the burrow. If it really bothers you, you can work with a local trainer when the seasons change on this specific issue. ^_^