How can I tell a flea bite from a Mosquito Bite on my 4 mo. old lab puppy?

I have a 4 mo old Lab puppy that all of a sudden
has12 to 15 bites on his tummy , inner leggs and
expecially on the back of his thighs. He has been treated with Advantage 3 weeks ago. Could they be Mosquito bites? My 10 yr old lab also has some kind of bites on his tail and is going crazy chewing on it? He too has Avantage. I do not see
any fleas in my house.???

Asked by Member 708890 on Sep 24th 2009 Tagged fleabites, mosquitobites, skinproblems in Health & Wellness

Answers

Pull the hair forward at the base of the tail. If he has had fleas very long, you will see or feel dark, reddish, gritty specks, Otherwise, it is some other kind of bites. Talk to your vet.

B.J., CGC

Pick up a flea comb and comb the area around the tail and down the back legs... you probably won't see any fleas but you will see flea dirt (flea poop) which is little reddish black specks like dirt. If you wet them on a paper towel or kleenex they will turn red. OR, do the people test... put on a pair of white socks, no shoes, and stand on your carpet or in your basement... where ever your dog sleeps the most. Fleas will likely jump on you and you can see them on the white socks. Most of the products like advantage only really work well for about three weeks... check with your vet about reapplying them.

B.J., CGC answered on 9/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer