How can I stop my shepherd mix from tearing the stuffing out of his bed?

We have a shepherd/lab mix that is almost a year old, we have had him since he was 8 weeks old. Within the last six months he has started destorying every single bed or pillow that we put in his crate. He never tears it up at night, only during the day when no one is there. We leave a toy in there always. At first we thought it was because the bed had a zipper but have since then bought two without zippers and he still ripped the stuffing out. Even laying towels over the bed doesn't help, he just moves them. He's really a well behaved dog and does not usually destroy things so we aren't sure what's causing this. He gets plenty of exercise and is rarely in the crate for more than four hours at a time. Is there anything we can do to stop it? Or is this just something he will grow out of?

Asked by Member 1132425 on Sep 25th 2012 Tagged bed, stuffing, crate in Chewing

Answers

Mika

He will probably grow out of it, but on the other hand it could start a really bad habit that he wont stop....if he is not in the crate for to long at a time you might want to consider not putting a bed in there for him...unless of course the bottom of the crate is bars. ( depending on the type you have i guess) But i would take it out and give it to him at night.

Mika answered on 9/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Arlo

My Mini Aussie did that too! He does not tear up the other 2 dog beds he has throughout the house, but he absolutely destroyed the one in his crate. As the other responder noted -- you will probably need to go with bedding that does not have stuffing. There are pillow-top little mattresses, or an old blanket or a few sheets, that may work better. I am not sure why my Arlo did that either, especially because he never tore up his other ones, but I am sure it has something to do with being resentful of being in a crate and that is the only thing he was able to destroy.

If that is the case, the type of bedding may be irrelevant, and you may need to work more on making him enjoy his crate with treats or the smart-toys. Arlo was potty trained around the 3rd doggy bed he tore apart, so we haven't had to crate him since.

Arlo answered on 9/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer