How can I re-train my dog to sleep in his crate at night?

When he was a puppy we tried crate training him, but after a year of him crying all night, we finally let him sleep in our room. We are about to have a baby, and I do not want my dog in my bed, when there is a baby. Is there a way I can get him to sleep in his crate with out crying?

Asked by Member 988229 on May 21st 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Chances are, you are going to have to endure some crying. The sooner you get this done,t he better. Having the crate in your room may make it easier. Otherwise try what works for us with new puppies. At bed time, with a new puppy, I have found lying down in front of the crate like you were going to sleep and speaking softly to it, or singing, until it settles down and goes to sleep works very well. Follow the pattern, a period of active play, outside to eliminate, and then into the crate. A Kong filled with peanut butter and frozen could keep him too busy to cry until he falls asleep.