how can i know how old is my puppy without going to a vet?

a friend gave me a small black and brown chihuahua, but i dont know how old is he. And i cant get hold of my friend. Are their features in a puppy and a older dog that can tell an age difference? like on their teeth or something?

Asked by Member 783635 on Dec 26th 2008 Tagged chihuahua, blackandwhite, agedifference, puppyordog in Puppies

Answers

Bud

When I was sixteen weeks old, I lost all my "baby teeth". Mom says that unless a puppy is less than that age, you can't really tell if their condition is good.

Bud answered on 12/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maxina

If you just got a puppy it should be going to the vet as soon as possible for a check up. Your puppy needs vaccinations and some puppies have to be wormed.
Part of being a dog guardian is providing regular medical care.
Good luck with your puppy.

Maxina answered on 12/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

A vet can tell you by looking at the development of the teeth and their shape and wear how old a dog is.

While it's easier to tell a younger dog's age, a good vet can give a close estimate on even older dogs after a thorough exam.

Part of responsible dog ownership is making sure the dog is healthy and so you should take him to the vet for an initial exam soon to make sure he's healthy. Once you do get in touch with your friend, make sure the dog has had current vaccinations too, to keep him safe against serious diseases.