How can I keep my dog calm indoors?

I have a two year old female Catahoula Leopard dog who is extremely excitable indoors and because of this she is confined in a crate almost all day. For some reason she gets really excited when she is around my father and when guest come over to visit. How can I keep her calm inside?

Asked by Member 936457 on Jan 7th 2010 in Jumping Up

Answers

Hurricane Jack

How about NOT keeping your dog in a crate all the time. She has a lot of energy at 2 years old..that still puppy stage believe it or not. She needs to get out and get excercise everyday. Take her for 2 walks a day and trust me she will be a calmer dog.

Hurricane Jack answered on 1/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The more she is confined to her crate the more excited she will be when let out. I agree with the first poster... you need to provide some outlet for her extra energy... long walks, games of fetch, and things that make her think will all help. A good training class will also help you learn how to train her to be more in control when she is inside. Meanwhile, start walking her at least twice every day and playing more with her...when she comes inside she will be more tired and more calm.

Katie

I agree with the others, and would add that training will help tremendously.

I am currently reading How to Teach a New Dog Old Tricks by Dr. Ian Dunbar, the vet/behaviorist who invented puppy socialization classes. He points out that training is a lifelong learning effort, and that dogs are much more likely to be allowed in the house when they're well trained! The more they're isolated, the worse their behavior gets - so please do your dog a favor and start training her, as well as giving her ample exercise and other fun activities.

If you borrow or buy Dr. Dunbar's book, you can go through the step-by-step instructions on training a dog to greet guests politely. Basically, the goal is to make it fun and exciting for the dog to obey you!

You can also try hiding her food around the house and yard, or putting her kibble in a Kong and sealing with wet food. Freeze it overnight, and she has to work to get to her breakfast. Try puzzle toys, too - anything to engage her brain. Good luck!

Katie answered on 1/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Petri

If you can't get out and exercise her, look into training her on a treadmill. This way she can walk while you are at home and burn off a lot of her pent up energy. I would suggest getting this issue fixed ASAP with a behavorist or self-education (check out these two books: Cesar's Way and Be the Pack Leader). You need to train her in a certain fashion so she will live a happy, balanced life. The longer you wait the harder it is going to be to get her trained properly. Good luck!

Petri answered on 1/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer