Owen

How can I help my neurotic dog?

I have a pekingese, pug, shih-tzu, chihuahua mix. He is extremely smart, picks up obedience in a heartbeat, he's perfectly potty trained, he's obedient, etc. Our issue is his incessant barking. We have tried training it out of him w/a home trainer, placing him in another room when he barks, everything. We try to keep it to positive reinforcement style, and we're trying to stay away from the Cesar Milan thing. He's 8 months old and is great until he opens his mouth. He also is crate trained, and for the most part, LOOKS like a model dog.

We have to sedate him a night in order to get him to sleep, otherwise he will literally bark and cry ALL NIGHT non-stop.

Barking goes from request barking to emotional dramatic screeching, howling, and crying. Sometimes the barking turns into nipping our hands/face. It's scary.

We are soon to look into doggy "antidepressants" or "anxiety" medication. I have googled it, and am wondering if someone has used similar methods.

Asked by Owen on Jan 22nd 2011 Tagged barking, anxiety, biting, medication, aggression, howling, training in Barking

Answers

Sonny

How much exercise is he getting?
Sonny was nearly 'neurotic' when I got him because he wasn't getting any exercise. He needs a good 1 hour walk every day to keep mellow. Some of this behavior can be chalked up to 'teen bratty behavior', which he will grow out of.

And where is he sleeping that he barks all night? Have you stoped using the crate at night?

I suggest you see a trainer about redirecting him when he barks. You have somehow encouraged what you want to extinguish.... I don't think moving him to another room is helpful. You do need to channel a little bit of CM by "claiming" the space or the object he is barking at. He's taking advantage of your confusion and lack of firm rules and discipline.

Sonny answered on 1/23/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I agree with the other poster. Exercise is probably the best medicine. A tired dog is a well behaved dog. It depends on the dog how much is needed. Some require 2 one half hour walks a day and others require more. Owning a dog required some work. Teaching him new things will keep his mind busy. Dogs do Not like to be bored. They will entertain themselves, one way is barking, if they have nothing else to do. Good Luck!

Riley

You sedate a 8month old puppy EACH night??..Thats dosing a dog who doesnt even need to be sedated!!...This dog needs exercise and attention 24/7 in order for him to be tired and so you BOTH can get some sleep!

First things first..Theres no use for giving him meds, he just needs TIME!, and a lot of effert!...Giving him meds at puppy age?!??, Puppys grow out of IT!..Sorry im just confussed at what your doing....

Take him on walks/jogs/parks(if good with dogs)/Dont crate him unless your not playing with him or you have a mind to do the things we've meantioned....My dog does that all the time...Truse me, they WILL grow out of it;)

Just be patience, care for him ALWAYS!:)

((wags))and puppy licks:P
-Riley Ace-

Riley answered on 1/23/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have never heard of sedation. Is this per vet?
I wouldn't do any Cesar, that is not what your dog needs.
so, is the dog barking because you are isolating him at night? If the dog is the only dog, he may just need a bed at the foot of your bed.
Another ? is the exercise too. A dog must get adequate exercise, no matter how big they are.
There is some things in training you can do for barking, but you must pick one and stick with it, along with lots of exercise.
Placing a dog in another room is not one of them.
A good trainer will show you how to distract and reward for not barking. Using room punishment could be viewed as a reward or a negative unfair view to the dog.
Thus adding more stress to the already existing factors.
find a vet another one, to do a blood test on the dog to see if any diseases exist, abnormal results.
Your dog does sounds distressed, I wish I could see her in person and help you.
I have never used drugs on my worst rehab dogs off the streets.

Gordo

Hi Owen,

I have some fun ways for you to help your dog. Please visit this website: antidepressants

woebegone.hubpages.com

And please don't give him any antidepressants. He just needs more attention.

Gordo answered on 1/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer